I’m having one of those weeks that offer so much, I have to
be choosy about where I spend my energy and time when I really just want to run
away and get lost in a corn maze!
Its fall break from school and I have kids at my house all
day and sometimes all night for so-called slumber parties, which are just
squealing, retina burning game marathons that hold me at the threshold of REM
sleep. We have zombie movies, pizza and popcorn on hand in case they wander out
of the room seeking more entertainment—or a snack of human brains.
I’m also doing a mini-Nano challenge for the month of
November. You know Nano, it’s the sprint to the finish line, uber
self-discipline, take no prisoners, make-mine-a-double-shot-espresso, balls to
the walls, puffed-up sense of accomplishment challenge where writers complete a
50k manuscript in 30 days.
I’m not doing that.
I know myself too well. I’ll drive myself nuts, get
coffeed-up and flame out 2/3 from the finish line. I’m taking a shorter, softer
approach to Nano. I mentioned a couple new projects last week that require a lot of research and careful plotting. I don't want to rush those. However I am getting a good solid start on short story of about 20k and I’m
going for quality over quantity. I’m going to try a couple of new things, including a
slightly different writing voice.
A new to me press contacted me this week and invited me to submit work to an upcoming anthology. I'm really excited about that and feel even more of a need to finish several on-going books and make room on my slate for 2014.
I got a slow start this November and I'm pretty sure my Nano is going to run into December too. I’m
going to spend the next few days doing a little plotting and planning so the next phase of writing rolls on greased wheels like a sleek turbo jet rocket car, dipped
in personal lubricant and strapped to the railroad tracks.
I wish! We shall see… Actually, I’m really excited about working with new people on new projects.
Have you ever done Nano, or challenged yourself with a
writing goal? If you have I’d love to hear about your experience.
XXOO Kat

I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving, Kat!
ReplyDeleteHi Julia, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
DeleteKat, that's sooo exciting about being contacted by a new press!!!!! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteAnd a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
HI Tessie, the only catch is I have to buckle down and write those books! I keep starting new ones and rotating WIPs like a mad person. : )
DeleteYour name is out there and new publishers want you. What a great feeling it must be.
ReplyDeleteI'm doing a mad dash to finish my contemporary romance for nano. It'll definitely go into December.
Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and find some quiet space from all those kids. :)
Amber I think December NaNo is our new holiday tradition! What better way to add pressure and frustration to the holidays? : ) It seems like every December is becoming a mad dash to finish the year's projects.
Delete