This past Sunday we fought the crowds along with hordes of
other people and gave-in and saw the new Superman Man Of Steel in a packed
theater.
The movie was good. Better than I was expecting. My son and
enjoyed it but my husband who is much harder to please was disappointed that
too much of Kanas got blow to bits and Metropolis was relentlessly pummeled in
an alien battle for the Earth’s magnetic core that simply would not end.
I’ll admit I did get numb to the wanton destruction of rural
and urban America BUT I was distracted by those minor flaws by Henry Cavil’s hotness
and enjoyed the show.
Saying Henry Cavil is hot is a shallow thing to do. Henry
seems to have a real sweetness to him at least there’s a very sweet quality
that comes through in this movie. Going into this I wasn’t sure I could accept
him as Superman. First Henry is British and Superman is as American as apple
pie from a Kanas farm. Second, I’m a pretty big Superman fan. How big? I always
loved the comics and loved sketching Superman as art practice. I used to be a
physical trainer and many of the people I worked with or saw in physical
therapy at the gym were in wheelchairs and had injuries or disabilities they
were working with.
The most common tattoo I saw in those days on men and women,
young and old alike was the iconic Superman shield. I love the fact that in
this movie we are told the “S” stands for “Hope” because that’s exactly what it
means to so many people.
I wanted to name our son after a real life hero who inspired
people so my husband and I both agreed that we admired Christopher Reeves. Because
of Christopher Reeves’ courage and determination he and Superman will always be
one in my mind.
The look of this Superman is stunning. Planet Krypton was
beautifully realized. The machinery has an organic quality. Superman’s father
Jor-El played by a slightly scruffy Russell
Crowe, swoops through the skies on a dragon (who knew?) Krypton is exposed here
for what it was—a troubled and doomed place populated by beings no better or
worse than us.
Also Hans Zimmer has written an Oscar worthy score for this movie. I loved it.






You know you want to so just go and see Henry Cavil walking around without his shirt... just do it. : )
ReplyDeleteYup...that was my main reason for going and I wasn't disappointed. Loved everyone in the film, but mostly Henry.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't sure anyone could replace Christopher, but I was proven wrong. :)
Christopher Reeves will never be replaced as the big screen's first super-Superman, but Henry is doing a noble job as well. Christopher is a big cape to fill....
DeleteI just went last night and the movie was the best Superman for me. I didn't mind the over the top destruction. I also love Transformers, 300 (coming soon sequel, Immortals (great Mr. Cavil here), and other action/adventure films. (Yes- I am an oddity for a female!). I also enjoyed the subcontext messages such as selective breeding, man's instinctual untrusting behavior, etc.
ReplyDeleteEveryone should go see it and let Henry inspire your heroes!
Henry Cavil inspired one of my werewolves from seeing him in the Tudors. So ladies I saw him first!!! :-)
DeleteI loved the movie!
Edi Ojeda
I loved him as Lord Branden! OMG.
DeleteLois Lane annoyed me at first. She redeemed herself when she agreed to go on the ship. Overall, it was an enjoyable thrill ride.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen it yet. I'm a huge comic book fan and struggle with changes. I will eventually see it but I'm trying not to bring my history into the movie. I want to see it with fresh eyes. You've given me something to wish for! Hope!!
ReplyDeleteAs a comic fan I think you'll appreciate the look and feel of Planet Krypton and Clark's backstory. It's very well done.
DeleteI'm a Superman purist and he is my all time favorite superhero. That said, I remember seeing Christopher Reeve and thinking he was perfect.
ReplyDeleteHenry bares a somewhat mirror image of Christopher but the reviewers have loved his performance as Superman/Clark Kent.
Of course, the other bonus for me is Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner. :)
We are going to see it this afternoon.
Of course, I love all The Avengers but Pepper Potts is NOT with Tony Stark EVER!!!! Still bugs me...
Marika
Enjoy Superman! Tony Stark is a bad boy and Pepper Pots is his adult supervision. Not a great couple...
DeleteInteresting. I haven't heard much about the movie at all.
ReplyDeleteIt's doing big business. We tried to see it Father's Day and all shows were sold out. If you like Superman it's worth a look. It's a big loud destroy Metropolis movie... I'm hoping the story telling gets more personal on the next round.
DeleteSo far I haven't been driven to see the movie. After what you just told me, I think the special effects might be a little easier to take on the smaller screen. I also have a real soft spot for Chris Reeves' portrayal and as cute as Henry is, I think I'll wait for the DVD:) Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteHi Paris! Yes, there's Transformer's level mayhem and no humor in Man Of Steel but it' still worth seeing if you love action heroes. Man Of Steel isn't perfect but it gets a lot right.
ReplyDeleteThe explanation for the S, and the glimpses into his early life intrigued me when we saw the trailer in the theater.
ReplyDeleteYou write incredible movie reviews, Kat!
Hi Tessie! Forget what I say just enjoy handsome Henry Cavil without his shirt saving innocent people.. It's so worth the price of admission.
Delete