Hello everyone. I want to share a little of my good news that I received a contract for a new Ellora's Cave paranormal novel. I can't wait to share more details about it and I promise to do that early next year.
Hopefully I will finish and submit another short novel to Ellora's Cave before year's end. If I can do that I'll feel great about it!
This blog originally appeared at Wren Doloro's blog earlier this week. Wren is a mystical lady and aspiring writer and it was a delight to visit with her. The theme was "hope" and here is what I shared with Wren:
Please visit Wren Doloro at:
http://wrendoloro.blogspot.com/
Hopefully I will finish and submit another short novel to Ellora's Cave before year's end. If I can do that I'll feel great about it!
This blog originally appeared at Wren Doloro's blog earlier this week. Wren is a mystical lady and aspiring writer and it was a delight to visit with her. The theme was "hope" and here is what I shared with Wren:
No matter what
holidays you celebrate or don’t celebrate December is a month of hope and
always has been. Why? Because in most places in the western world December
comes during the harshest, darkest days of winter. The sunlight dwindles, the
days get shorter until the December 21st winter solstice arrives and
turns the sun around. But even after the solstice brings a return to longer
days, everyone knows the coldest most challenging days of winter still lie
ahead.
The heart of
winter is when we most need hope.
For a moment
imagine yourself in our ancestor’s place. Imagine an existence without modern
medicine or central heating. Imagine homes where the wash water froze every
night in its bucket. Imagine the inconvenience of no transportation beyond
horses, boats or foot and little or no communication with distant neighbors. As
December’s days grew shorter and darker imagine the worries, “Did I plan
well? Did I put enough aside? Do I have a loved one who might not survive the
stress of winter?”
Not that long ago everyone in the northern
latitudes spent winter this way and I think that’s why a celebration of hope in
the month of December is so important. We bring fresh cut evergreen trees
indoors as symbols of eternal life in the face of physical hardship. We light
candles and hang Christmas lights to ward off the growing darkness. We bless
the less fortunate, wish each other well and practice generosity during meager
times because those practices have served humanity well for countless winters.
Here we are
days away from the winter solstice of 2012, which coincides with the end of the
Mayan’s long count calendar. December 21st 2012 marks the end of the
thirteenth b’ak’tun and the conclusion of the fourth world. According to the
Mayan there were three previous worlds that didn't work out so well and had to
be destroyed. The fourth world, our world succeeded and humans were allowed to
safely inhabit it.
A “b’ak’tun” is
a 5125-year cycle. Chunky 5,125 year cycles sound impressive until you realize
the Mayans really, really loved to count and they did it with gusto. For
instance there is a carved Stela in Coba that marks the date of creation at 13,
13, 13, 13, 13, 13,13, 13, 13,13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13.0.0.0.0
Or 2021×13×360
days or we could say the universe has 2 quintillion times more years left on it than it has already spent.
In other words,
that ridiculous number predicts December 21 2012 it’s not the end of days, not
by a long shot. This is good news. Apparently we’re living in a low mileage
universe and hopefully the best years are yet to come. We quintillion years
ahead.
Let's put a single b'ak'tun in perspective.
Subtracting a b’ak’tun from our familiar historical timeline would place us at
August 11, 3114 BC. That date is
contemporary with the infancy of Egypt’s earliest dynasties when they were just
beginning to experiment with building crooked mud-brick pyramids. 5125 years
ago the great stone pyramids had yet to rise. Humanity has accomplished a lot in
5125 years and the Mayans predict many, many b’ak’tuns ahead.
Honestly I
think the Mayans would be appalled to be associated with the end of the world.
They were very forward looking people. For goodness sake they even looked past
the date they stopped existing as a culture by nearly a millennia. The second
insult is the calendar that is continually presented to us, as the “End Date Mayan Calendar” is almost always the Aztec calendar.
The Aztecs were a very different culture contemporary with the conquest of the
New World. The Mayans and the Aztecs deserve to be recognized as separate and
vivid cultures.
What does all
this mean during the Christmas season when I will also be reflecting on the
miracle of a divine child’s birth?
Have hope. I
know things are far tougher for most of us than they been in other years but don't
allow fear to drive you. Have hope that our world is not ending, evil will not
win and better times lie ahead. Have hope that others who lived long before you
had it far worse and still found a reason to celebrate. Have hope that you're
resilient enough, determined enough and caring enough to make 2013 one of the
most pivotal years of your life.
This is my blessing
to you this holiday season, may you have HOPE and a beautiful 2013 ahead.
XXOO Katalina
Leon
Please visit Wren Doloro at:
http://wrendoloro.blogspot.com/



Happy holidays to everyone!
ReplyDeleteXXOO Kat
Happy holidays to you too, Kat! I especially love your expose on the Mayan calendar.
ReplyDeleteI have no worries about the calendar ending. I'm so looking forward to a fresh start in a new B'ak'tun! : )
DeleteThis is a great blog, Kat! Happy Holidays.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber! Today it's a lazy girl recycled blog. : )
DeleteCongrats on your new contract!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post about the Mayan calendar. Last year I wrote & had produced a short play about the supposed end of the world according to the Mayans...did a lot of research and saw a fantastic exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum. Very interesting subject, and you've captured it well.
Lena that sounds pretty interesting. I'd love to hear more about your play.
DeleteLong ago I researched the word "apocalypse", and had high hopes for the apocalypse that would take from the present era into the era of enlightenment. We have been moving slowly into this new era...and now we have fewer excuses to avoid exploring it. Thanks for a wonderful post, dear.
ReplyDeleteApocalypse is a Greek word which translates into "Lifting the Veil" or revealing something. In the ancient world it's associated with a husband's (often) first glimpse of an arranged bride.
ReplyDeleteSo, apocalypse can mean "disaster" (which means under the influence of malicious or evil star) or the first meeting of two lovers and the start of a new family.... Which choice sounds like more fun?