Visitors

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Fourth of July!


The Fourth of July has always been a special holiday for me. I'm a July birthday, I love fireworks, summer cookouts and everything that comes with them.

It was at a Fourth of July cookout fifteen years ago, that I found myself savaging a bag of corn chips like an animal and realized I might be pregnant. My husband and I stopped at a drugstore on our way home from watching a firework display, bought a pregnancy test, saw the double purple lines and cried with joy.

This Fourth of July is extra special too. As you may already know from my Facebook page my sister Christy has cancer. It's inoperable and she was released from the hospital to do hospice in my home. Judging from the condition she was in June 1st, all was lost. She was taken off dialysis and I was told she was in renal failure and had about a week to live. Her birthday was June 21st and I never dreamed Christy would survive to see it.

Guess what? Christy's birthday came and went. I had my own nursing routine to perform at home. Everyday she seems to be doing a little better. Her kidneys are now healthy and fully functioning on their own. A few of her other chronic issues including headaches, fever, infections, bedsores etc.. were healed and the medications associated with them were ditched. Her mind cleared and she became herself again.

At that point I realized I had a half-healthy person on my hands who deserved a chance to try a few of the alternative cancer treatments that are only offered to the terminally ill. I figured why not, we have nothing lose. I view this with no false hope but merely as another adventure into the unknown with my sister who loves adventures and trying anything new. We start on Thursday. If I get a little more quality time with my sister and relieve some of her pain, I'll consider it a big win.


5 comments:

  1. I know it's not the 4th yet, but I just had to post this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopeful, Kat. To be honest, the alternative treatments won't hurt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My opinion, and so is my sister's, is that this a learning experience that might be beneficial to the next person. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, what a wonderful blessing for you and your sister to have more quality time together!
    Alternative treatments can have amazing benefits. My prayers that things go well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Tessie. I'll let you know how this goes. Pain management and drug toxicity are big issues to work around. I'm looking to add a few new tools to the tool kit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.