Visitors

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Important Amazon Changes

Please pass along the following information!
If readers can't find our books they can't buy our books!

Amazon is testing new search behavior.
Instead of showing select mature items in website searches by default, they are hidden by default. If searching in 'All Departments', select mature items do not display. If searching in 'Books' or 'Kindle', in the upper left corner of the display screen it may say "Excluding adult items" and have a "Show all results" link that customers have to click on to see the hidden books. Both of these are in small font and easily missed if you don't know to look for them.
This is not yet effecting all users but it will!!

Tessie
www.tessiebradford.com




6 comments:

  1. Tessie - explain. Does this mean stuff with adult content is hidden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some adult content books are being hidden by default for some users. For example, until I knew to look for and click on the small link in the corner, 8 of my books were not displaying in any of my searches. I contacted Resplendence Publishing for help and they questioned Amazon (who would not deal directly with me). The above info is summarized from Amazon's response. The snark about the font size is my own. :)
      I'm hoping that if readers have trouble finding my books on Amazon they will go to my website where the direct Amazon buy links are easy to find!

      Delete
  2. Book Covers are being hidden as well. Amazon is acting like a tyrant lately trying to control pricing and sales habits and possibly push big publishers like Hachette aside. For the immediate future I'm boycotting Amazon and buying directly from retail websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Kat. "Controlling" and "Arbitrary" come to my mind regarding these recent events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This 'feature' has been around for at least a couple of weeks. One book I saw disappeared and it took awhile before it came back up (it didn't even tell you it was hidden). Other times I have seen the message come up but it is very inconsistent. Do you want to see this become a permanent feature (if they do so, do something like Smashwords where the Adult feature is clearly on). Anyhoo, I've been ordering elsewhere for a handful of publishers and that may extend. Not sure what Amazon is doing but they are harming themselves as well as the customer with the shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers, authors AND Amazon will be adversely affected if books can't be found and purchased!!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment.