Visitors

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Man Of Steel!


This past Sunday we fought the crowds along with hordes of other people and gave-in and saw the new Superman Man Of Steel in a packed theater.

The movie was good. Better than I was expecting. My son and enjoyed it but my husband who is much harder to please was disappointed that too much of Kanas got blow to bits and Metropolis was relentlessly pummeled in an alien battle for the Earth’s magnetic core that simply would not end.

I’ll admit I did get numb to the wanton destruction of rural and urban America BUT I was distracted by those minor flaws by Henry Cavil’s hotness and enjoyed the show.


Saying Henry Cavil is hot is a shallow thing to do. Henry seems to have a real sweetness to him at least there’s a very sweet quality that comes through in this movie. Going into this I wasn’t sure I could accept him as Superman. First Henry is British and Superman is as American as apple pie from a Kanas farm. Second, I’m a pretty big Superman fan. How big? I always loved the comics and loved sketching Superman as art practice. I used to be a physical trainer and many of the people I worked with or saw in physical therapy at the gym were in wheelchairs and had injuries or disabilities they were working with.


The most common tattoo I saw in those days on men and women, young and old alike was the iconic Superman shield. I love the fact that in this movie we are told the “S” stands for “Hope” because that’s exactly what it means to so many people.


I wanted to name our son after a real life hero who inspired people so my husband and I both agreed that we admired Christopher Reeves. Because of Christopher Reeves’ courage and determination he and Superman will always be one in my mind.

The look of this Superman is stunning. Planet Krypton was beautifully realized. The machinery has an organic quality. Superman’s father Jor-El  played by a slightly scruffy Russell Crowe, swoops through the skies on a dragon (who knew?) Krypton is exposed here for what it was—a troubled and doomed place populated by beings no better or worse than us.


I thought the best moments in The Man Of Steel were the quiet ones. The subtle interaction between young Clark and his Earthly parents played beautifully by Kevin Costner and Diana Lane, are a treat. Honestly I loved Clark on a fishing boat, or Clark the drifter better than Superman because the scenes were quieter (Nothing was blowing up) and Henry was acting and he is a very good actor. Overall I think the Superman franchise has been successfully rebooted and now we can move onto the other thing I love—Superman as Clark Kent struggling to fit in. I’m a total sucker for Clark Kent…

Also Hans Zimmer has written an Oscar worthy score for this movie. I loved it.

17 comments:

  1. You know you want to so just go and see Henry Cavil walking around without his shirt... just do it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...that was my main reason for going and I wasn't disappointed. Loved everyone in the film, but mostly Henry.
    I wasn't sure anyone could replace Christopher, but I was proven wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher Reeves will never be replaced as the big screen's first super-Superman, but Henry is doing a noble job as well. Christopher is a big cape to fill....

      Delete
  3. I just went last night and the movie was the best Superman for me. I didn't mind the over the top destruction. I also love Transformers, 300 (coming soon sequel, Immortals (great Mr. Cavil here), and other action/adventure films. (Yes- I am an oddity for a female!). I also enjoyed the subcontext messages such as selective breeding, man's instinctual untrusting behavior, etc.

    Everyone should go see it and let Henry inspire your heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Cavil inspired one of my werewolves from seeing him in the Tudors. So ladies I saw him first!!! :-)

      I loved the movie!

      Edi Ojeda

      Delete
    2. I loved him as Lord Branden! OMG.

      Delete
  4. Lois Lane annoyed me at first. She redeemed herself when she agreed to go on the ship. Overall, it was an enjoyable thrill ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen it yet. I'm a huge comic book fan and struggle with changes. I will eventually see it but I'm trying not to bring my history into the movie. I want to see it with fresh eyes. You've given me something to wish for! Hope!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a comic fan I think you'll appreciate the look and feel of Planet Krypton and Clark's backstory. It's very well done.

      Delete
  6. I'm a Superman purist and he is my all time favorite superhero. That said, I remember seeing Christopher Reeve and thinking he was perfect.

    Henry bares a somewhat mirror image of Christopher but the reviewers have loved his performance as Superman/Clark Kent.

    Of course, the other bonus for me is Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner. :)

    We are going to see it this afternoon.

    Of course, I love all The Avengers but Pepper Potts is NOT with Tony Stark EVER!!!! Still bugs me...

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Superman! Tony Stark is a bad boy and Pepper Pots is his adult supervision. Not a great couple...

      Delete
  7. Interesting. I haven't heard much about the movie at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's doing big business. We tried to see it Father's Day and all shows were sold out. If you like Superman it's worth a look. It's a big loud destroy Metropolis movie... I'm hoping the story telling gets more personal on the next round.

      Delete
  8. So far I haven't been driven to see the movie. After what you just told me, I think the special effects might be a little easier to take on the smaller screen. I also have a real soft spot for Chris Reeves' portrayal and as cute as Henry is, I think I'll wait for the DVD:) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paris! Yes, there's Transformer's level mayhem and no humor in Man Of Steel but it' still worth seeing if you love action heroes. Man Of Steel isn't perfect but it gets a lot right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The explanation for the S, and the glimpses into his early life intrigued me when we saw the trailer in the theater.
    You write incredible movie reviews, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessie! Forget what I say just enjoy handsome Henry Cavil without his shirt saving innocent people.. It's so worth the price of admission.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment.