Visitors

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

This Is News?


Is the media cruel or are we? I ask this because the old axiom used to be that the media was asking questions and reporting on stories we needed or wanted to know. I’m not sure that’s true anymore. I used to believe the media was an extension of “us”. I viewed the media as a more informed and better connected fact finder or purveyor of gossip.

It’s gotten pretty strange out there. I think media has gotten mighty sloppy. What passes for celebrity news or gossip has sunk far past meaningless overexposure. Today’s news is closer to we-accidently–stepped-in-tacky-and-fell-facedown-in-a-reeking-pile-of-dull. Is this the natural cycle of things? Technology has made it impossible to keep a secret in public and guess what the secrets just aren’t as good as they used to be.

Here is a tiny sampling of nonsense “news” I read yesterday.



Exhibit A) Pregnant Kim Kardashian. Yes she’s a gorgeous woman but please Kim stop trying so hard to be sexy while pregnant and just enjoy being pregnant. Take a nap. Read a book. Get your mind right for one of the biggest changes you will ever experience and to hell with the endless parade of clown outfits.


Exhibit B) Natural aging is not allowed to go unpunished. But wait there’s a double standard here. First the media loves to expose and pillory anyone who has had cosmetic surgery and point out in gruesome detail just how ugly it is. Second they take special glee in “exposing” how badly people are aging naturally. So it’s definitely a case of damned if you do—and cover of the National Enquirer “looked how they’ve aged special issue” if you don’t.

Poor Keanu Reeves has resurfaced lately carrying (gasp!) a few extra pounds. I’m telling you the truth. This is the blue pill, this is real, the Matrix hunk is chunky. Can you believe that a 48 year old man who’s been under a tremendous amount of stress the past year directing his first movie with a hefty budget at stake has taken up stress eating? This is shocking. Is this the beginning of a dangerous new celebrity trend where every middle-aged person in Hollywood frees-their-mind and starts’ believing it’s okay to walk around looking middle-aged?

I’ll admit I love seeing favorite celebrities take care of themselves but it’s perfectly okay to be a natural human being too. It’s such a relief. Please let’s not gloat over Keanu’s bloat. Let’s just love the guy; he’s not hurting anybody.


Exhibit C) Eva Longoria, poor little Eva. She was trying to do the right thing and save a delicate mint green Versace dress from getting caught on her high heels and dragged through the rain but she hoisted her hem too high and revealed she was going commando on the French Riviera. Je rougis! Now her pussycat will have to face international exposure. Let’s give a girl a break and just let it go. 

I hate panty lines. I've done the same thing so many times and thank god no one took my picture.

I still haven’t seen Star Trek Into Darkness and I’m dying to! Everybody says it’s great.

XXOO Kat

10 comments:

  1. I was desperate for a blog! I had nothing! : )
    I'm stuck in an awful endless work week, no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I didn't realize that was Keanu. :(
    Kim needs to chill...I'm sorry, but just look at her feet. Her body is begging to be cared for.
    As far as Eva...I feel bad for her.

    Yup, I did enjoy Star Trek. Next on the list Hangover!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the other urgent, tragic and interesting things going on, it's weird that these "news" stories just kept coming up last Tuesday, I finally just lost it and said enough, this isn't news.

      Delete
  3. I agree. Plus the media goes way too far with the Hollywood stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's presented as real news and there's so much of it.

      Delete
  4. Oh gawd. Frankly I don't care however I will say this - Kim looks so uncomfortable. I cannot imagine dressing like that while pregnant. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving in to this crap! If I was Kim's friend I'd beg her to take those damn shoes off and sit down.

      Delete
    2. I am with you there, Kat! I got your back!

      Delete
  5. This is a great blog, Kat! What passes as news these days is so many times either drivel, hurtful, or out and out lies. I remember the days when real news stories were expected to be researched and there was accountability if they weren't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news cycle now is reaction-retraction-distraction
      Report first, investigate and apologize second with lots of nonsense filler as a distraction in between.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment.