Visitors

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It's Almost Time To Star Trek Into Darkness!




It's almost time to Trek into Darkness! I can't wait. I've loved Star Trek since I was a kid. I'm thrilled with the new spark of life JJ Abrams has breathed into the franchise. This movie looks loud, dour, humanity is in peril and lots of things blow up including the Enterprise and possibly all of Earth. Despite all that I still think it will be a fun movie. It will be fun because I'll take the adventure with family and friends who love Star Trek as much as I do. I'll enjoy sitting next to loved ones who take Star Trek seriously and watching their faces as they watch the screen. 

Star Trek has been a big part of my life, but nothing like my friend who lost his father at a very early age to a senseless act of violence. My friend was too young to remember his dad. He made sense of the loss by adopting Captain Kirk as his father. It sounds crazy but his mother said she could get him to fall asleep or do his chores with the gentle suggestion that Captain Kirk would be so proud of him. That's powerful stuff when a fictional character becomes so real people forget they're a fictional character.

I've heard some critics comment that the latest installment of Star Trek is derivative of the original material while at the same time overlooking the fact that’s exactly what its supposed to be. Yes, these are the same characters in the same situation we saw forty years ago. We're seeing them right before it all goes wrong--again. This Star Trek looks epic and emotional and I love epic and emotional.


The villain (hisss!) is played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Just in case you've been trapped on a desert island somewhere and don't know who Benedict is playing... I won't say his name and spoil the surprise. I will say JJ Abrams and his camp are very, very bad at keeping secrets.


Chris Pines is our handsome new Captain James T Kirk. He's got swagger and shag-her up the wazu.


I love Zachary Quinto. He had a big pair of ears to fill and it's quite logical that he's done so wonderfully.


Alice Eve plays Kirk's love interest Doctor Carol Marcus. Poor girl you just know she's in for a rough ride...

Are you a Star Trek fan? Does the series hold any fascination for you?
XXOO Kat

7 comments:

  1. Who plans to see Into Darkness? I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I do! I'll say when the first one came out I was very concerned about Zachary Quinto playing Spock, so I was pleasantly surprised when he did a fantastic job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was too! Spock is such a strong character I was scared the new Spock would turn into a parody of Spock, but Quinto was a pleasant surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of the original. Don't care much for any of the later series. The first movie underwhelmed me. Too many special effects, too little story. This one? Maybe. Might wait for it to come out on Netflix though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the other the J.J. Abrams Star Trek and "Into Darkness" is supposed to dwarf the first, so this movie may not be for you.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment.