Visitors

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Happy Holiday Hobbit!





Are you a J.R.R. Tolkien fan? I am. I’ve loved the Hobbit since I was little. My older sister C.L introduced me to the books and read them aloud. C.L’s sixteen years older than me and served as a second mom. She’s also incredibly artistic both musically and visually with some engineering skills thrown in too. She was always doing something creative and despite the difference in our ages, she was patient and kind enough to include me in everything she did. We had a lot of fun together.


One year she was asked to design Hobbit scenery for a college play.  It was an ambitious project for one petite girl to accomplish on her own. I remember C.L somehow got eight, 8’X6’ foot panels of plywood into our backyard, laid them out, did detailed pencil sketches, then got out the jig saw and started making very intricate cuts.

I was in awe at how quickly the sets took shape. The scenery was free standing cutouts of Hobbits and the shire. She blocked in large areas of color and allowed me to fill them in. She later went over everything and added beautiful shading and detail.


I remember walking around the set pieces in our backyard and feeling this amazing freedom of imagination. It definitely was a power moment in my life. I saw that with thought and effort you can make great things and I never forgot that feeling.

The scenery looked great in the play and my sister was resigned to seeing it cut up or used for something else…

Not so. A Renaissance fair approached the college and asked to use the sets. The Hobbit set pieces were a hit at a beautiful outdoor fair beside a creek under ancient oak trees.


Next a J.R.R. Tolkien convention borrowed the sets to decorate their gathering. After that a couple asked to use the sets as a backdrop for their Hobbit themed wedding.  We lost track of the set for a little while but saw a photograph of our Hobbit set on the runway of a small airport with people dressed like Hobbits standing in front of it. To this day we still have no idea what that was about.

Out of college my sister was hired by Paramount Pictures as a set designer and went on to help create the Star Trek movie sets and many other movies.

So am I excited to see the new Hobbit movie? You’re damn right I am! The look of this movie and the breathtaking sets just take my heart back to a beautiful moment in time. I can’t wait to see it.

XXOO Kat

19 comments:

  1. Do you plan to the see the Hobbit when it comes to theaters this season or are furry feet and short men not your thing?
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved the Lord of the Rings since I was in high school. I read the Hobbit after I'd read LOTR, which I think I've read at least a dozen times over the years.

    I even got through The Silmarillion and found interesting in parts. Some parts read like biblical begats, all the lines of Elvish kings. LOL I am so looking forward to the Hobbit and I'm really glad Peter Jackson is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, I must admit I never made it through Simarillion either but The Hobbit has been reread and newly appreciated at several times in my life. I'm really looking forward to taking my son to see the movie version.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to the movie - you have such a connection to the book! I have heard some of the 3-D effects are nauseating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I won't be nauseated! I felt a little queasy in Clash Of The Titans when Perseus was zipping through the city on the back of Pegasus on an iMax. Oh well I guess the popcorn bucket can double as a barf bag in an emergency.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story, Kat!
    I hope you enjoy the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tessie! 2012 has been a banner year for movies, I'm going to get spoiled.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait till the showing of the Hobbit. My brother was the one who introduced me to the Hobbit and I still have a copy and the three books of the Lord of the Rings.

    What a lovely story about your sister, and those sets must have been impressive. What a feeling it must have been to know that they were so well loved and so well used.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! Those sets were impressive to me as a child and I'm happy other people enjoyed them too. I think the magic of J.R. R. Tolkien was the real draw. He created such an amazing myth as you and your brother know. We all got drawn in.

      Delete
  6. Yes we did, and still are being drawn in again with the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your brother live close enough that you could enjoy the movie together or will you need to check in with each other afterward? I hope you see it together!

      Delete
  7. My brother and I don't spend much time together.

    However, I'll see the movie with my husband, probably on our anniversary which is on December 21st.

    BTW, hubby and I saw all the Lord of the Rings movies on our anniversary. Lucky for us each one was released in December.

    Our very first date was to see a Lord of the Ring animated movie.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! What a great date for an anniversary. Winter Solstice and the Mayan end of the 13th Baktun and the Hobbit! This anniversary is going to be a barn burner!

      Delete
    2. Yup, and I'm looking forward to it.

      BTW, the Mayans didn't have leap year, so I don't understand what is getting people so worked up about, their calendar ended last year.

      Delete
    3. I'm not convinced the Mayan calendar ended. There are known codices with dates past December 21 2012 that were not officially carved into stone. Plus so many valuable Codices were burned by the Spanish that we'll never know the whole picture about that amazing calendar.

      Delete
  8. You can, girl! You can have anything your lil heart desires Upstairs!! Just gottawanna have some faith in the GoodLordAbove... that'll be your seed. God'll do the rest --- Ya know what's highly erotic, girly? Stroking you, feeding you baklava and those lil oranges, kissing your feets, taking a shower, sitting behind you till your labia is engorged, those adorably, wonderfully-arousing-TwoLips, giving an orgasm for both within 20 seconds?? Heaven Above... where I'll be thy servant, you master, and we'll be as one. And flying. Can't forget flying, girly. Don't you want that, where we could make love for yeeers and yeeers, never the same position twice?? Meet me Upstairs, doll --- Greetings, earthling!! Gottawanna run back to the Elysian Fields soon, but take anything and everything you wanna from our wonderfull, plethora-of-thot to write the next, great masterpeace -if- I can but kiss your gorgeous, adorable feets and/or cuddle withe greatest, ex-mortal-girly-ever to arrive in Seventh Heaven. Think about it. Do it! Get back with me Upstairs, k? God bless you, doll: pleasure-beyond-measure is waiting in the Great Beyond for you and eye. Love you. PS: the musical term MORENDO means ‘dying-away in tone-and-time’. How very apropos for U.S. …thewarningsecondcoming.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am ridiculously excited for The Hobbit, too, Kat! When I was a kid I was *terrified* of Gollum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My Precious" Gollum is still terrifying me! : )

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment.