Visitors

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Boxing Day! Why Do I Feel Like I've Been Punched In The Face?


It’s a British tradition to give the hard working household help the day off after a hectic Christmas season, pay them a bonus and let them relax.

So why can’t I relax today? I’m an under appreciated house servant. I’m not British but I would love to get paid a bonus for all the extra work I did this season and take a full day off, but I know it’s not going to happen.

In the USA the day after Christmas is a department store Armageddon that almost rivals Black Friday in its intensity. Okay, that’s not quite true, only the running of the bulls in Pamplona Spain rivals Black Friday shopping, but December 26th is close.


The day after Christmas in the USA is the day most stores will see the highest number of returns and exchanges, which results in long lines at the checkout, frustrating searches on store computers for items with lost receipts and a lot of grouchy shoppers in general.

Why do stores put up with and even encourage this behavior? Because most people who exchange items for store credit immediately spend a far greater amount on store merchandise. Even exchanges are rare most customers trade up.


Christmas just ended and my son is already hounding me to drive him to the mall as soon as they open and help him exchange gift items and buy what he really wants—gamer's crappolla.

I’ll be asked to help him exchange and dispose of handsome clothing he needs and would look good in—in exchange for Microsoft points to buy on-line zombie game time—useless stuff.

What’s worse is I know from experience that every exchange will take about a half hour but the lines at the game store will be tremendous. Last year we waited at least an hour to buy a simple thing. Today won’t be fun but at least my son and I will be together and we can talk. Sadly I’m sure the only thing my son will want to talk about is games and zombies. Oh well.

How was your holiday season this year?

XXOO Kat

PS Something Wicked This Way Comes Vol 2 is nominated for anthology of the year from The Romance Studio's Cupid and Psyche Awards
Cerise Deland is also nominated in the Contemporary Romance category for: 
"More Than You Know" (Decadent Publishing)
http://theromancestudio.com/capa.php


6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to rest! I've had too much of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dang it. You need to rest. I can't imagine braving the crowds today. I'm hoping to stay put and do returns in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kat, I feel for you. The holidays can be insane! And no shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did it! We went out and it wasn't that bad... we did avoid the mall and got delicious Mexican take out on the way home, so I'm in a good mood.

      Delete
  4. Christmas for me is really about my family. I don't care much for the giving and exchanging of gifts (as lovely as it is). It's the only day when we all seem to find time to sit around the house, eating too much, drinking too much and talking. I love that feeling of all being together when I remember how much they all mean to me. Silly drunken games on the Xbox kinect made the day fun-filled, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.