Visitors

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The last word on NaNo 2011


I cannot believe the first week of December just zipped past! Where did it go?

Last month’s NaNo project went great. I enjoyed the experience very much. I was aiming for a mini-NaNo of 30k, but the story I was working on ran away with me. My WIP is currently at 45k and I’m going to wrap it up at 50k in a couple of days.

It’s true I didn’t follow the actual NaNo format, nor did I work as hard as some of you did, but this is lightening fast progress for a slowpoke writer like me. It was good for me to just write without judgment and constant going backward to make endless revisions, which I tend to bog me down…

I couldn’t do that with NaNo. I had to just keep pushing the basic plot forward. Added to all this, November had daily challenges and many distractions from the day job that had to be juggled into the mix. It was good for me to know that despite what was going on during the day, I could sit down and write something of significance that quickly built into a story, if I would just get out of my own way and allow it to happen.

In fact NaNo was such a positive experience I’d recommend it to any aspiring writer. I wish I’d done it sooner. NaNo may have taught me some habits and skills that I hope will carry forward and become a regular part of my writer’s toolkit. It was well worth it if only for that. The other plus is, I was doing this project with Amber Skyze and soon we get to swap WIPs and enjoy what the other wrote. That will be the icing on the cake for me.

XXOO Kat

PS. It’s my baby brother’s birthday today. Happy birthday Mark, I love you! Mark’s retired Navy, served mostly in the Asian Pacific and it’s ironic his birthday is also the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

12 comments:

  1. Now all I have to do is finish that WIP with an super exciting climax that wraps up all loose ends and leaves the reader feeling good about life. How hard can that be...? lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the easy part for you Kat. I know it! :)

    I loved working with you. Nano is normally like that for me, but this year was different. I have a little one to tend to. But she's worth it.

    Happy Birthday, Mark.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post Kat. I guess whenever I get hold of a plot, I do a "NaNo" whatever month it is. It's how I roll.
    happy b-day to your bro!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't finish NaNo this year but it was a great learning experience. Congrats on finishing yours.

    Happy Birthday Mark. Thank you for your service to your country.

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber! You have so much to show for this season, great writing, new projects and a beautiful baby!
    Liz, I'm going to watch and learn from you. You're the ultimate multi-tasker.
    Marika, technically I didn't finish NaNo either but we can build on what we got. Keep going!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add my birthday wishes to your brother...and congrats on completing NaNo! I started one a couple of years back and only got 10k...LOL! Couldn't get into the story I tried to write and dumped it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that NaNo was a positive creative experience for you, Kat!

    Happy B-Day to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you can do it! Sounds like it was a great experience. Can't wait to see what you and Amber have created for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fran! I know there's something useable in that 10k, take a second peek someday.
    Hi Tessie, your book release schedule this year is enviable, you did great in 2011. I should take inspiration from you.
    Hi Marie! I can't wait to see what I've created, also. I haven't looked back to revise or anything such thing. I hope I'm not shocked when I do...lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Kat's brother Mark! I think it's cool you did Nano this year. That's one thing I will never tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Mark.

    I did the nano too and wrote a 50K story. My sixth year in a row.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.