Visitors

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy Almost New Year!



I love the week after Christmas it’s such a peaceful time to look back on the year and think ahead to the new one. I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions but I do set goals— realistic goals I can honor. One of those goals is to get a few of my WIPs out the door and published and I’m almost ready to do that.

I also plan to take another pen name for a few short novels I’ve written in another genre. I’m really looking forward to branching out and trying something a little different. I also hope to do more collaborative projects with other authors because I’m finding it a great way to work.


By the way the new Ellora’s Cave anthology “Something Wicked This Way Comes Volume 1” is available today. I can’t wait to buy it and read it! I have a short story in Volume 2. I don’t yet have a release date for V2 but I’m sure it will be soon.


Its a certainty that 2012 will be the year you see and hear about the Mayan calendar so often you might wish for the world to end… but don’t. The picture above is not the Mayan calendar its the Aztec calendar. It’s a whole different culture separated from the classical Mayan dynasty by several hundred years. The confusion about the calendars says it all-most people don’t know what they’re looking at much less worrying about.

Note to everyone: This is not the end of the world.

The good news is December 21, 2012 marks the end of the 13th bak’tun --that’s all. No doubt the end of a 26,000-year cycle is a big event but it’s not the end of the world. It’s the end of the Mayan long count cycle and the cycle starts again. The Mayans did abandon scrolls that mark time beyond the 13th bak’tun, so clearly they expected the world to continue past December 21, 2012, but they didn’t have the opportunity, perhaps due to war, famine or cultural collapse, to carve those dates in stone. Had things been easier for the Mayans, they might have left us a longer calendar.

So let’s embrace 2012 as the year we got back on our feet and not the year we dreaded the end of the world.

I wish everyone a very Happy New Year.

XXOO Kat

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, and a Jolly 13th Bak'tun to all!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amber, I'm really looking forward to 2012 and a fresh New Year!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kat, glad you clarified that...not that I'd been staying awake nights worrying. Yes, just the end of one era and the beginning of the next.

    Congrats on your upcoming release! I know it will be a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's wishing 2012 is filled with happiness, prosperity and peace!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.