Visitors

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nano is Go!


Happy All Saints and All Soul's Day!


Yesterday was the first day of NaNo and I have to boast Amber and I are off to a good start. It was a bit intimidating when Monday morning rolled around and I was still very unclear about basic details of our shared project. The kinds of things I haven’t even thought to discuss with Amber were suddenly priority one. I needed to know details such as what time of year it was or the age of our heroines and so on. I was still waiting for inspiration to hit when Amber emailed me her first 800 words, and they were good…

It was time to light a fire under me and start the pot boiling! With Amber’s help I jumped in by late-morning and didn’t stop until I had to pick my son up at school. The story started to flow and actually surprised me from page to page with where it wanted to go. It felt good to write this way. Five pages (2.2k) appeared effortlessly, which was such a relief. This summer I had days when I felt damn lucky to write a full page.

Now, most of the story is firmly playing in my head. I feel confident I have enough material to make this an interesting novella and I have Amber to thank for that. She’s a great person to brainstorm with and I always feel safe sharing even my worst ideas with her.

Writing can be lonely. It’s easy to doubt yourself or run out of steam. I’m finding it’s really wonderful to share the creative space with a partner. I’m enjoying the experience of writing as a team and I can’t wait to share the results with all of you.


So far so good. I feel like I cleared the first tough hurdle of just getting a new project moving.


XXOO Kat

10 comments:

  1. Don't forget to to light a candle or say a quiet thank you to our ancestors who toughed it out and made our lives possible.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collaboration, especially if the two of you are inspiring each other. It can only produce a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have said it better, Kat. I feel the same way. I'm so excited and pumped up knowing I can share the story with you everyday and gain feedback. My story has really taken shape in my mind.
    I've always been afraid of collaberating, but I guess you just have to have the right person and I definitely have her! :)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie and Amber, Happy All Souls Day!
    The idea of collaborating on a writing project has always appealed to me, but I needed to get to a place where I was comfortable enough with myself as a writer to even consider it.
    I can now see the advantages of combining efforts with another on select projects. It's a whole different angle. I love it.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat,
    It's inspiring to hear the excitment you and Amber are sharing in the creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tessie I get very inspired sharing ideas and work with you! You've kept me going on many a tough day.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI NJ! What are up to in the month of November? Are you doing NaNo too?
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice work! I guess my style of to do a "NaNoWriMo" every time I get started on a project. They usually will NOT let me go until they are out of my head and onto the screen at least in first draft form. This normally only takes me about 3-4 weeks! Good luck Kat. I'll be this will be a GREAT collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Liz! I sure wish I had even half your speed!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.