Visitors

Monday, November 14, 2011

Marilyn Monroe's infamous gown, its fate and A LONG TIME COMIN'!

Like so many of my talented author friends, I try to make people live in my stories. Now, true, screen icon Marilyn Monroe is gone, sadly, but her legend in many things lives on.
In A LONG TIME COMIN', my heroine Cait Hagerty owns a vintage clothing shop on the River Walk in San Antonio. (Trust me, this area is no low rent district! So she must earn BUCKS, baby, BUCKS!) Now Cait has in her shop has the only copy of the gown ever made for Marilyn Monroe when she sang Happy Birthday to JFK in 1962.
(THIS copy is fiction.)
But this line of thinking gave me a few ideas on my heroine's personality.
Who is Cait?
A woman who likes old dresses. Okay.
But she also is rather traditional in other aspects.
She is a calm, reserved business woman who knows how to navigate the world. She understands her lover's challenges and copes with them. Perhaps better than he does!
So owning a vintage clothing store also got me a plus: I could talk about Cait's figure. Always a great idea when writing erotic romance! I could write also about the absolutely out of this world gown. WHICH incidentally, Marilyn had to be sewn into the night--the only night--she wore it when she sang Happy Birthday to John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.
Only weeks before she died of an overdose.
The other thing you need to know about vintage clothes, this dress and their value?
MM's dress is a good example. In 1999, this dress sold at Christies' auction house for... ready? $1,267,500.00
Lots of dinero.
To see this lovely creation, go here: http://www.marilynmonroecollection.com/Lot55.htm
And to see Marilyn sing Happy Birthday to JFK, go to YOUTUBE here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SLSlSmW74 
CIAO, my lovelies!
Find A LONG TIME COMIN' at Amazon, ARe and Smashwords for 99 cents!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea. This book sounds like a must read.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific story idea Cerise! "A Long Time Comin' sounds like so much fun.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.