Visitors

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nano is like a sleek rocket car dipped in personal lubricant...


Warning: this is your brain on Nano! Being fast isn't always smart. Be cautious and practice sound judgement before you hit the afterburner.


I’m having one of those weeks that offers so much. I have to be choosy about where I spend my energy and time when I really just want to run away and get lost in a corn maze!


Its fall break from school and I have kids at my house all day and sometimes all night for so-called slumber parties, which are just squealing, retina burning game marathons that hold me at the threshold of REM sleep. 


We have zombie movies, pizza and popcorn on hand in case they wander out of the room seeking entertainment—or a snack of human brains!

I’m also planning a mini-Nano challenge for the month of November. You know Nano, it’s the sprint to the finish line, uber self-discipline, take no prisoners, make-mine-a-double-shot-espresso, balls to the walls, puffed-up sense of accomplish challenge where writers complete a 50k manuscript in 30 days.

I’m not exactly doing that.

I know myself too well. I’ll drive myself nuts, get coffeed-up and flame out 1/3 of the way from the finish line. I’m taking a shorter, softer approach to Nano. I’m aiming for a single short story of about 20k and I’m going for quality over quantity. I’m going to try a couple of new things, a slightly different “writing voice”, and a writing partner.

As I mentioned in last week’s blog I’m really looking forward to collaborating with the very talented and lovely Amber Skyze. I’m going to spend the next few days doing a little plotting and planning so the first story rolls on greased wheels like a sleek turbo jet rocket car, dipped in personal lubricant and strapped to the railroad tracks.

I wish! We shall see… Actually, I’m really excited about this. I’m excited about the collaborating part—not so much the greased turbo rocket car. That fantasy will have to wait.

Have you ever done Nano, or challenged yourself with a writing goal? If you have I’d love to hear about your experience.

XXOO Kat




11 comments:

  1. I'm heading onto the salt flats, who's coming with me? lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done Nano the last four years. I wrote over 50k three years. Not last year. :( I'm looking forward to doing a mini-nano. 20k is more doable for me this year.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I can't help myself - Fall break?? Haven't kids only been back in school for like 9 weeks??

    I admire everyone who embraces the Nano challenge! Writing a book of any noteable length in thirty days is an incredible accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessie with the current budget crisis the kids get a school break every nine days! Seriously, they are out of school way too often for some reason or another.
    Do you want to join us for a mini NaNo? Perhaps set a goal of finishing a short WIP?
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mini?...Short?...Joining friends to meet a goal?...I'm listening...

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Wringing of hands, evil laughter) Yes my dear, come join us... Join us in our self-imposed creative pain and anguish. lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a mini-nano would be fun and totally worth doing. The whole big nano concept is extremely daunting. I am too much of a perfectionist to write when I know it could be crap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I agree. I just saw a comment on the loops from a lady who said "Don't do NaNo!" She said, (I think this is what she meant) she retypes words from manuscripts she's already written just to make her daily word count?
    That's NOT what I'm interested in. That "No No" not NaNo. NaNo shouldn't be a death-march typing contest but a focused effort to complete a short work of fiction on a deadline.
    My first rule of fiction is "if it's not entertaining to me, I don't write it".
    If I plot carefully and get amped up, 2k a day for me is reasonable.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've won the nano five years in a row and this will be the sixth year for me. The best thing you can do to finish is tell your internal editor to "Shut the hell up!"

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Janice.
    "Hey, internal editor--shut-up!" (There, it's done!)
    Why did you have to mention that the house should be cleaned before NaNo starts... Why? lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.