Visitors

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lets Talk Scary Movies



I realize that with DVDs, On Demand, DVRs, Netflix etc, one can watch almost any movie at any time, but I positively love the plethora of shiver inducing films and programs on my cable channels during the month of October. Bring on the vamps, ghosts, witches, zombies, monsters and slashers!!

Being prone to nightmares at any time of year, it’s extremely weird that I enjoy watching scary stuff, but I do. With my heart pounding, a pillow clutched at the ready to cover my eyes, and the little voice in my head screaming, “turn the channel”, I can be glued to the TV for hours.

Watching in the comfort of my own home allows the experience to be interactive. Along with gasping, flinching, and crying out in surprise, I’m able to shout out, offering my much needed advice to the players on the screen; “Don’t go in there.”, “Run!”, “Oh, you did not just leave the knife on the kitchen counter.”, “Seriously, in the basement without a flashlight?”!!!!

Horror films have the highest amount of too-stupid-to live characters of any genre, don’t they? I guess it makes sense, though. Slashers would be out of a job if there weren’t vacuous young adults cavorting together in all states of undress while not paying attention to creepy shit going on around them! Zombies are slow movers; it really helps them when people wander into the cemeteries at night. Werewolves appreciate lovers taking long walks under the full moon, and evil spirits rely on amateurs whipping out the Ouija board!

Here are some of my favorite movies:


Dracula – the Frank Langella version. He can suck anything of mine he wants to!
Rob Zombie’s remake of Halloween.
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead – the original.
Rawhead Rex - rarely plays on TV but well worth a rent.
The Blair Witch Project – full of stupid, but the last two minutes still freak me out hard.
Pumpkinhead
The Shining
Aliens
The Sixth Sense
The Amityville Horror
Poltergeist
Predator

And here are some I cannot watch again or never finished watching:


Pet Cemetery
A Nightmare on Elm Street – all installments!
Saw – all installments!
The Cell



What movies cause you to sleep with the lights on??


Have a great weekend~

Tessie


6 comments:

  1. The Exorcist and Amityville Horror still scares me after all this time. Also the Exorcism of Emily Rose gives me the chills.

    I read Pet Cemetary before seeing the movie, so the movie didn't scare me as much. I felt they ruined the book by making the movie.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have October scary movie night too. I love it. It's become a holiday tradition.
    I still like the cheesy stuff, I'll enjoy any Vincent Price movie and of course the Rolls Royce of the horror genre any House of Hammer film.
    By my son's vote, Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing and the Underworld trilogy are also among the new classics in our house.
    I really love Coppola's Dracula, too. The music and costumes are astounding.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot, will not, may not even be anywhere near my house - The Exorcist and The Amityville Horror. OMG!
    I think Alien has fewer TSTL characters than most. That and Terminator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, if the book Pet Cemetary is scarier than the movie, I'd never survive reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat,
    I can't believe I didn't mention House of Hammer films!! I love Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee!
    My daughter said the Underworld trilogy, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia, you're right, the TSTL factor is way low in the Alien and Terminator movies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.