Visitors

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Celebrating a finished WIP


(I posted this video just because its such an interesting scene. It’s perfect for the Halloween season and I love the soundtrack to Frances Ford Coppola’s, Dracula.)

October’s been a busy month and I can’t believe how fast it’s flying by.

Monday night I finished writing a 90-page romance that I started working on the first week of September with the intention of writing a 24 page Quickie…

The plan changed as I wrote, the characters immediately took me in some surprising directions. From one day to the next I had no idea where they would take me. I just had to have faith they would lead the way, and type. The story quickly morphed into something that really surprised me. It’s a little different from the content I usually write. It’s more sensual romance than erotic romance. I didn’t do that by design the character’s time period and personal ethics demanded realistic behavior.

I enjoyed writing this way and I wanted to challenge myself. There’s a contemporary romance with an affair from the past embedded within it and a switch between first and third person POV. This story has ancestor ghosts, a strong sense of fate and a journey of souls across seventy years of history to the present. Its actually two romances in one with a happy ending for the contemporary couple.

I know this is self-serving to say, but I blubbered as I wrote this story because bits and pieces of it felt so real.  Having this set of characters speak to me and share personal things, felt like a privilege. Finishing the story and pulling away from the creation phase was a bit sad. My mind is scattered today. I’m really hoping this type of character connection happens again.

Aside from all my WIPs that need to be finished, I have a new project to jump into and I know it will be fun. Its something I’ve wanted to try for a long time—co-authoring. The lovely Amber Skyze and I are going to collaborate on a set of short stories. She came up with an idea I loved and several big synchronicities quickly followed that pointed the way for me to say, “Yes” to this project in a big way. I’m looking forward to clearing the decks and making way for this collaboration. Amber is a good influence on me, not only does she have great ideas, I’m also hoping her speed and excellent work ethic rubs off on me! (I’m so slow…lol)

XXOO Kat

13 comments:

  1. I told you that music was lovely!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished WIP sounds really great. I can't wait until it's release. And can you say super-pairing, you and Amber. The stories can't be anything but hits! Whoo-hoo! I see happy reading in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so speedy any longer. lol Congrats on finishing that "short" story. ;)
    You added great elements to my idea so this co-authoring is definitely both our ideas wrapped into one.
    I'm excited about having my name with Kat's!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie, you are so sweet and supportive with everyone, thank you!
    Amber, I'm dying to use your great idea! I'm already working on two plot lines, and I have the story titles floating in my head so this project really clicked for me. Thank you so much, its an honor to work with you.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. RAISES HAND TO COLLABORATE WITH KATALINA!
    you know, when you have time (or I do!)
    gerat post dear. you are very talented and I'm lucky to have you as a cheerleader. Keeps me motivated on days when I think "really...why?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Liz, mistress of micro-craft beer and super hot male characters, You've given me something to think about because you and I have a lot of common ground...
    We all have days where we ask "really...why?" It means you're still sane. Good for you! lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congrats on finishing your WIP, Kat!!! How wonderful that it struck such an emotional cord with you - I can't wait to read it!!

    And OMG, a Kat/Amber collaberation - hurry, hurry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tessie! I still need to do proofing and tweaking on that WIP but I'm going to need your expert eye and opinion soon...
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eye is always at the ready, and as you are well aware, I rarely am at a loss for an opinion!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the finished project and good luck with the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I paint pictures and cloth items and when I finish an item I set back and check it out for anything missing and I get a good feeling I done something worth while. I don't usually celebrate but look for the next item to do. I love the feeling of a finished project. Right now most of them are Christmas gifts. susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Janice! It sure feels good to finish something.
    Hello Susan, I'm an artist also and I find one of my biggest challenges is knowing when to stop a project and not overwork it's unique look or feel--even when the art is imperfect and could be easily corrected. Sometimes the best thing to do is sit back and learn to love it as is.
    Christmas gifts? Ack! Are you trying to scare me? (I'm so behind! lol)
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.