Visitors

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rest In Peace Andy Whitfield


Today’s blog is brief. I’d like to formally take the opportunity to say good-bye to Andy Whitfield who died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma last Sunday at the age of 39.

For a couple of years I’ve had a picture pinned up in my studio of Andy Whitfield in his “Spartacus Blood and Sand” leathers. I think he was gorgeous. My son who was nine when I put the picture up, and was far too young to be watching the graphically violent show on Starz network, looked at the photo and said, “That man has beautiful eyes. He looks kind.”

 I thought that was a funny way to describe Spartacus but Andy Whitfield did have kind, beautiful eyes and maybe that’s why he made such a good Spartacus. He came across as a highly capable but reluctant killer.

I’m saddened because constant reports were shared in the media, even as recently as late July’s Comic Con in San Diego that Andy was doing better. Obviously that wasn’t true and it’s our loss.

Lucy Lawless (Xena Warrior Princess and Spartacus Blood and Sand co-star) is quoted as saying:

"Obviously, Andy Whitfield left an indelible mark on all of us in the 'Spartacus' family. He was a gentle man who never said a bad word about anyone, a gifted photographer, engineer (no really!) and a brilliant actor. Andy's incandescent film presence made men want to be him and women want to marry him. Andy's two babies will always know that their Daddy cherished them and their mother, Vashti, above all things. How lucky we were to have him grace all our lives. Godspeed, Andy!"

Well said Ms. Lawless.

XXOO Kat

15 comments:

  1. He will be missed and he did have beautiful eyes.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marie and Amber, Andy was something of a mascot in my studio, especially when I'm working on my ancient world books. I'll miss him and I'm sure many others will too.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how terribly sad. It's not supposed to happen this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did make an impact and lived a big life in a short amount of time-so good for Andy!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt like he was the perfect blend of Naive, sexy, vulnerable and strong....I don't usually go all ga-ga over tv stars (Don Draper is one Notable Exception) but this guy's story touched me. thanks Kat
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said Liz, you and I are so alike in our tastes.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tessie, it was sad, I thought he had a chance of recovery.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so impressed by Andy Whitfield's acting abilities. He brought strength and vulnerability, honor and vengeance through his role as Spartacus to the screen with his dynamic personality.

    The world saw a snippet of his public life, and we were drawn to the indelible character of this man. I cannot even imagine the loss his family is suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Renee, I couldn't have said it better. Thank you so much for sharing this thought with us.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Janice, Andy certainly did have nice eyes.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so very saddened by this too. I was first down about him stepping down from playing Spartacus, and then getting the email from my friend that he had passed. It is so sad that cancer takes so many lives.

    My heart bleeds for his family and his little ones.

    Thanks for giving him the spotlight, Kat. (BTW, sorry I'm late. I was on vacation)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renee and sister Andy Whitfeild fan, you can never be too late to join us at 7SS! Thank you for dropping by and sharing this with us. I hope your vacation was great.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.