Visitors

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Never Forget




I forget a lot of things; names, what I was looking for when I walk into a room, a funny anecdote during a conversation, putting gas in my car that has a broken gas gage! Dates, on the other hand, stick in my mind like glue; birth, death, anniversary, appointments, deadlines, and events -past, present and upcoming.


The morning of September 11, 2001, I was at my desk at work, talking to my Mom on the phone. Mom was excited that her best friend was on her way over for coffee and a nice long visit, I was worrying about my daughter's afternoon orthodontist appointment because we were finding out how much longer she had to wear an expansion bridge. A co-worker came running into the office, saying we had to turn on a radio, and get the TV from the lounge. I told Mom I'd call her back.


The numerous new programs, and re-playings of those made right after the tragedy, are both difficult to watch, and impossible for me to turn away from. Everything changed that day.


We as a nation, as a global community, as humans, must remember.



Tessie













5 comments:

  1. I remember that morning like it happened yesterday. I was getting ready for work and my mom called to tell me to turn on the TV. There was a guy at my house putting in a kitchen floor. I called to him to come see what was unfolding. We watched together in horror.
    The next day my mom called and asked me who "Norm" was because I was a newly single woman. She obviously thought I had a gentleman friend overnight. LOL Nope just the floor guy.
    That was the only humor I could find in that devastating event.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son was about a year old and my husband got up early the morning of September 11th to feed and play with him, so I could get a little more sleep.
    I'll never forget the look on my husband's face when he walked back into the bedroom holding the baby. His face was gray and he whispered that I needed to wake up...
    I cried all day in front of the TV and my husband rushed out to donate blood. I'll never forget that terrible feeling of bracing for more bad news.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. It's as if it just happened yesterday. The very worst event in my lifetime and I hope in my kids' lifetimes. Please nothing worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Please nothing worse... " Amen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That day marks a loss of innocence. I remember such fear, and a sense of utter helplessness. Trying to explain to my 12 year old daughter what had happened when I couldn't make sense of it myself was horrible. My heart literally broke as she questioned the safety of her environment and what the future might hold.
    We live about an hour away from Sulfridge Airforce Base and I remember how frightening it was each time the military planes flew over the house.
    I also remember feeling monumental pride to be an American as people reached out to help each other and we came together as a county. Seeing American flags at almost every house, hearing people talk about working together to rise above the tragedy was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.