Visitors

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Autumnal Equinox and International World Peace Day


Friday September 23rd marks the actual autumnal equinox and official first day of fall but it’s cool and foggy today, and I’m used to celebrating the autumnal equinox on the 21st of the September, so that’s what I’m going to blog about.

Autumn is my favorite season. I live in an agricultural county our neighborhood is surrounded by orchards and farms. Autumn means a break in the heat, sprawling pumpkin patches, overflowing farmers’ markets and a lot of visual beauty.

It also signals the time to start slowing down and getting readjusted to the coming time change and darker days. I use autumn as a time to draw my energy inward and take stock of the year’s unfinished business. This is the time I plan ahead always with the hope of finishing the year on a high note.

I’m celebrating today by hanging a double string of orange Halloween lights on my fireplace mantle and adding a few small pumpkins and candles. Tonight, I’ll make a pot of turkey vegetable stew that has nine different kinds of veggies from the local farmers in our area. I love seeing the vibrate colors together in the soup pot. Hopefully we’ll have our first fire in the fireplace in many months.

In my mind the equinoxes are always special but the autumnal equinox is my favorite because it signals a time to set fresh goals and plant a new harvest of the creative kind that can be worked toward during the winter months. It’s also time to change my work schedule, enjoy the little things fall has to offer and just be grateful for what I have.

By the way today is International Peace Day. I know it sounds cliché but peace begins within. Take a moment today to celebrate something wonderful you’ve accomplished or something special that makes you—you, and take that confident, beautiful feeling into the world and let everyone you meet today catch a draft of that sweetness. Let’s love ourselves and be a little bit kinder to each other.

Do you celebrate the autumn equinox, or have something you enjoy about the changing seasons?

XXOO Kat

7 comments:

  1. I've already visited several Halloween stores and it's not even October! lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited Halloween stores????? *shudders* I'm still wondering where my summer went. I want it back! lol
    Your soup sounds delicious but I'm still ready to grill and enjoy the pool. Now if only the weather would cooperate.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post Kat. fall to me means football, and the sort of weather that reminds me WHY Michigan is such a beautiful state. I am using my time editing like mad for 3 different publishers, celebrating football Saturdays and preparing (this week) to head to Denver for the Great American Beer Festival (YOU know--one of my fav places for inspiry!)
    cheers
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Fall - the vibrant colors, weather changes, scents and sounds (last night a flock of geese noisily flew over our house)!. I feel energized at this time of year.

    Happy International Peace Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, I grant you one more month of summer. You deserve it! Go find a sunny spot and take a nap outdoors. Dream of murder and M/M! lol
    Liz, I'm so excited for you! I am expecting a blog about the Denver Great American Beer Festival, details and photos required, especially those handsome beer-guys!
    Hi Tessie! I feel the same way, I'm a fall person. It's still too warm during the day but I'm already wearing my tall boots and a chic wool poncho shawl (ladies Target has great fall accessories!)
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat, you astound me. Always so thoughtful. The equinoxes are times for reflection, at least for me. Autumn is my favorite season - the dying year, but the seeds sown for rebirth in the spring.
    This time of year we always get hit with a major heat wave. Today is no exception. But I did receive a Kali necklace today that I ordered last week, so that's cause for celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, please post a photo or description of your Kali necklace. I would love to see it or hear more about it!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.