Visitors

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Smells like pre-teen spirit


Where did summer go? School is ready to start! Yesterday I sat in a school gymnasium through a lengthy parent orientation for my son’s upcoming first day of junior high. I wasn’t ready for any of it on so many levels. This summer has been wonderful, packed with lots of time with family and friends and I hate to see it end.

I also have horrible memories of junior high school and it’s hard to watch my only child heading into that caldron… I don’t want him to suffer the negative experiences I had.

My son actually enjoyed the first day orientation. He walked out of his new school beaming. He didn’t seem intimidated at all by the many little things that easily overwhelmed me at that age, and he has a couple of big challenges of his own to cope with. Sometimes I don’t know where he gets his confidence.  He always seems to have plenty, and I hope it stays that way.

I keep hearing from the other kids in our school district that this is a great school and they love it. I also hear from the others that the parents and teachers don’t allow the kind of oblivious stuff that certainly went on when I was in junior high school. People are much more aware that bulling is a serious matter that destroys lives, but I worry because there are so many embarrassing ways nowadays to cyber bully.  Our children are facing so many difficult pressures.

Junior high is one of those invisible boundary markers that warn you the child part of childhood is over and only limbo-land lay ahead.

So far my son seems fine with all this. He’s having a good time, but what about me?

If your children survived junior high school, please leave me an encouraging comment—please!

XXOO Kat

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kat, my daugther just finished junior high and will be heading to high school in two weeks. I'm terrified as I was when she entered JH. She did so good though. She has height on her side and she looks intimidating to most.
    Though, not to scare you she was bullied, but it was over the loss of her brother. By a child who has a brother who was born extremely early and has a lot of challenges, so...I'm sure there was more going on there with the girl.
    The schools are more aware and try to stop it before it gets out of hand. I'm sure your son will do just fine!

    Hugs,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those bullying issues and they broke my heart. As I said, our children and grandchildren are facing a harsh gauntlet in school and I feel for them.
    But I do hope high school will be a great experience for your daughter.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my three kids loved middle school. One kid hated it, with justification. Fixed the problem for 8th grade. He'll be fine. It's a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid is a lot like your kid and I'm a little apprehensive for him...
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my house, the middle school years were challenging for the kids and the parents!! I hope your son has a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tessie! I'm expecting a few bumps in the road...
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.