Visitors

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Slow Down!

I went to the grocery store after work the other day. At the butcher counter, I pointed to the bacon and cheese stuffed London Broil steaks and asked for two of them, “as close to the same size as possible”. Yes, I understand all of the reasons why hubby and I shouldn’t be eating such evil, artery clogging food, but that is not where I’m going with this story!

As is my way these days, I was driven to multi-task due to feeling like there are just not enough hours in the day to do all that needs to be done, so I didn’t allow myself the scant few minutes required to watch the selection process. I went and grabbed milk, bread, toilet paper and pop, picking up the wrapped package as I whizzed back by on my way to check-out.

When dinner time finally rolled around, greatly delayed by car problems, a computer issue and calls from the office, my head nearly exploded when I unwrapped said steaks. Indeed, they were almost exact in circumference, but one was almost double in thickness and stuffing from the other! As always, hubby used his grilling expertise to cook them to perfection, and we enjoyed a delicious, decadent meal.

The literary epiphany I experienced at about four o’clock in the morning was an unexpected bonus! With a strong cup of coffee in hand, I figuratively slapped myself upside the head and opened my stalled WIP!! I’d assumed that with my use of the word “size”, the butcher understood I meant “weight”, “height”, and “volume”. But why should he? I didn’t say that, I didn’t make even the slightest attempt to articulate what was in my mind. As I re-read my story, I saw all the ways I’d rushed through writing it, “assuming” the reader would figure out what I meant! Shame on me!!

Note to self – Slow Down!!!!

Have a great weekend~
Tessie
www.tessiebradford.com


5 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to find the same issue when edits arrive for the story I submitted.

    Good luck with the new wip. I have Matt's Return and plan to read it this weekend! :)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really strange, Amber, but despite the fact it is taking me forever to finish my next short story, once I looked at it with a more critical eye, the evidence of "rushing" was everywhere!?!!

    I hope you enjoy Matt's Return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is so funny I was having a similar epiphany yesterday.
    I was rushing and getting so much done-so very badly...lol
    The slow down, straighten up and fly right vibe must be in the air, and apparently I need it too.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, Tessie. I try to re-read my WIPs as if I'm a reader, not the author. I pick up a lot of errors that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine told me his grandfather always said, "If you think you don't have the time to do it right, where in the hell do you think you're going to find the time to do it over?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.