Visitors

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Just Do It!



A lot of newbie’s ask – how do you get over writer’s block? I’m usually quick to answer this question with Just Do It. Just Write. Write a grocery list, a journal entry or babble on your WIP. Eventually the words will come and you’ll want to write.
So why can’t I take my own advice? When I go weeks without writing I forget that sage advice. Instead I ignore my wip or open it and stare at it, never writing a word. LOL Am I a hypocrite?
In all reality I think we need breaks from time to time. You need a break from the norm and do something different. We need to recharge our brains and to do that we need to step away from routines.
On Sunday the DH and I had lunch on the bay. As I sat watching the boats on the water I realized how much I missed this view. It’d been so long since I’d been near the water. There’s something about the water, more so the ocean that soothes me. It recharges my brain. There are days when I can drive to the state park, sit on a bench or the rocks with my laptop and get lost. Sometimes I don’t even write. I just sit, watch and let time pass.
The lull of the water wading in and out or the rising waves is therapeutic for me. So next time you’re stuck and the motto Just Do It isn’t working – do something that makes you happy. Take a break and don’t stress about not writing.

8 comments:

  1. At first, your title jumped out at me. I thought that you were directly talking to me. LOL! It's true. Do things that make you happen and the block doesn't seem so insurmountable anymore. Any time you come down my way, give me a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I will! :)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to give myself a full day off but when I do, I feel so much better. I plan to spend a lot more time away from the computer this summer.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's important once in awhile, Kat. :)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think taking real, honest time off for ourselves is one of the hardest things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, mine too Fran.

    It is hard, Tessie. We have to learn to treat ourselves. ;) We deserve it.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice, Amber. Writer's block or not, you are still the most productive author I know!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.