Visitors

Saturday, October 2, 2010

All packed up and ready to panic!

I feel like a teenager going to my first prom...

Except I never went to my prom...

I have lived my life out of the swim, so to speak.  I always was outside the main stream of things. In school, with hundreds of people milling around me, I lived in my own little dream world, and let very few friends inside.  Now I can live in my own little dream world and make money doing it...but that still makes it not one bit easier to face the world after hiding from it behind a photograph taken of me in 1966.

Face it...I am an old fart, with chicken skin on my neck, bags under my eyes, and eyebrows that don't match.  Snort!  I don't wear makeup. (Except brows and mascara and a touch of liner) I have a short upper lip...a non-existent lower lip...and several chins. Where on earth did that hot young spring chicken go?  She's gone where the goblins go, below, below, hi ho...  There I go singing Wizard of OZ selections once again.  Ding dong, the witch is dead...

Anyway, I feel as if I am going to die of stage fright here.  And I have NEVER felt so nervous in my life.  I have taught big tough guys how to take down an opponent and how to block a hard attack.  I have taught women how to defend themselves if attacked in an alley.  I have taught classes to high schoolers about AIDS prevention.  I have done martial arts forms competition in front of a crowd of thousands, with Chuck Norris watching me make a fool of myself.  I have judged prestigious martial arts tournaments at the World Championships level several times, defended my scores with 6'5" 260 pound fighters demanding why I called a point for the other guy.   I have given speeches to large groups, and never once felt this damn worried about how people will perceive the real Fran Lee.

Old fat ladies don't write hot romance. Right?  Well...I'm proof positive that they do...and I will go to Romanticon and act like I am having a blast, even as I wish I were fifty thousand miles away hiding under my bed.  ):P

And as for having my photo taken with a bunch of hot, 20 or 30-something males with hot bods...NO WAY in hell!  I will slink carefully away and hide so that I resemble wallpaper, and I will be happy as a clam in salt water.  I may, of course, ask if I can take a couple of pics of them...but not with me in the same frame. LOL!  I value my camera far too highly to risk it being shattered.

So...if you DON'T see me at Romanticon, it's not because I didn't come...it's because I' so damn good at hiding. LOL!
Fran Lee

4 comments:

  1. I think you are really pretty - one hot old lady! Except you are not as old as you think! You'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, I love your face especially your smile. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable you'll feel at Romanticon.
    The Fran who can perform katas in front of a crowd and defend herself in public is certainty able to let her defenses down and have a good time. Enjoy yourself!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran, I predict you will have a fantastic time at Romanticon!!
    Last year I was so nervous I thought I was going to die but I discovered something in the first minutes I was there - romance authors, readers, publishers, editors, reviewers and cover models are some of the nicest people on the planet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got over the fright...I think it was more the idea of flying and switching planes and missing my connecting flight (which almost happened!) that gave me the willies. I am here in my hotel room, thinking seriously about renting a car for the return trip. That way, if I get lost, I can sleep in the car and then ask a highway patrolman. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.