Visitors

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Movie Night


It’s a rare treat for me to see a movie in the theater. Hubby thinks it is a waste of money and it is a proven fact that the most obnoxious, coughing, chatting, seat kicking person will sit directly behind him! Over the holiday weekend, my daughter and her sig other invited us to go see Avatar. Of course, two of the other six people in the theater sat right behind us and talked non-stop during the previews but my turning around and flashing them the stink eye when the movie started effectively shut them up.

I was completely blown away by this film! I found it intensely sensual and romantic on a multitude of levels. Visually it was beyond stunning. The 3-D was used to enhance the experience, not to shoot images off the screen for effect. The colors, the movement, the richness of details combined perfectly to evoke a deep emotional response.

The story itself was predictable but what surprised me the most was how it explored love with subtlety and finesse. The relationship between Jake and Neytiri, beings about as different as two can be, was built slowly and believably. Understanding, friendship and respect came before any hint of physical love. The spirituality of the Na’Vi people, their love and connection to their planet and the other creatures they shared it with was intensely moving. The relationship that developed between Jake and the Na’Vi warriors, Tsu’Tey in particular, perfectly depicted the love of beings bound together by a common cause. I also completely understood (though I was still glad when he bought it in the end) the passionate emotions of Colonel Quaritich.

Hubby told me he “really liked” the movie – high praise, indeed! I took that as an opening to verbally dissect the nuances of the film until his eyes glazed over.
Tessie

4 comments:

  1. I have not seen the movie yet, but my daughter has it on DVD, maybe I should pop it in soon and check it out.
    Glad you had a fun night out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you - the special effects are amazing, the story so-so. But - it is a romance! Glad you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got dragged to this movie along with a small pack of rowdy nine-year old boys during last year's Christmas shopping. My expectations were low and the movie had only been out for a day so I had heard nothing about it.
    Once the jungle fly-over scene started I felt a huge lump in my throat. It was incredibly beautiful and very subtle. My husband does this sort of work and when I thought of the thousands of technicians and thousands of man-hours and intense cooperation needed to make this visual beauty convincing I almost cried (I saved that for later) It was clear something lovely had been created that will have meaning to several generations to come. I looked over at the kids and they were mesmerized.
    Yes the message is simple but it's also for everyone. I think Avatar is the closest I've ever come to being completely immersed in someone else's dreams. I loved it and went back the next week.
    XXOO Kat
    PS I saw a dad or two getting misty eyed about the loss of "Home Tree" I thought that was well worth the price of admission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most people I know had already seen the movie, and talked about it, which is why I was so shocked by what it truly was!
    I'd of course heard about the special effects and the length but that was about it from everyone except my daughter who just kept saying I HAD to see it and she wouldn't tell me any more.
    I was completely drawn in from the very beginning, lost all sense of time, had waves of emotion and weepiness throughout and would have gladly sat through the very next showing if I could have!
    When I talked to friends about the experience, most of them made comments like "What?" or "Did we see the same movie?" or "I didn't get that at all from that movie." I was dumbfounded!!
    Then one friend who hasn't seen the movie said the only other person she's heard talk about it being such an emotional experience is her adult son, Dan, who's seen it multiple times. I immediately burst into tears because I so got it - Dan has been confined to a wheel chair since childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.