Visitors

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quickies and a Contest

I love writing quickies in between other books. Why? Well because they’re fun, quick and it’s a book out there. Lately though I’ve been getting discouraged, mostly because some readers obviously don’t get the “jest” of quickies.
A quickie is a blip in time, usually one event. Take for instance my recent release Submit With Me. It’s a quickie – 7400 words. It’s a story about giving someone control of your body for one night.
Two people who purchased the book over at the Jasmine Jade site gave it 1 star. One stated it wasn’t worth the $1.49 and the other said the characters weren’t fully developed. I’m not sure how developed they expect them to be when it’s written under 10k. On top of that it was all about the fantasy.
One nice commenter gave it 5 stars.
I’ve learned to take the good with the bad, but now I question writing these quick books. Is it worth the backlash? A bunch of EC authors told me it would be a smart idea to write a free read story. They said it gives you a lot of exposure you might not have gotten otherwise. I can see the point. If you’re unsure you want to try an author a free read could help you decide if you want to buy her other books.
I had considered writing one about Tommy from Pretend With Me, book one in the Freedom Fantasies series or one about Lucky from my Cougar Challenge book Gettin’ Lucky (coming soon). Lately I’ve been asking myself WHY? WHY bother? These are under 6k – I can’t imagine what these people commenting on my stories will say then.
Readers complain they want a quick, cheap read, but expect the full plot and storyline you get from a 30k. What’s a writer to do?
Today I've decided to give away a copy of Submit With Me to one lucky commenter and I'd love to hear what you think about the story after you read it. I'm a big girl if you hate it, tell me. If you love it, tell me. :o)

14 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of the shorter stories - both as a reader and an author. It never ceases to amaze me how commenters criticize them for length or development issues!?? They truly can't be unclear what Quickie means, can they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your reference to a blip in time. I like to think of a quickie as a day in a life or a moment in time. A quickie is exactly what it says it is.
    I've noticed that readers love to buy quick reads from Amazon and upload them to their kindles, the quicker and the hotter, the better. They seem to want something they can read over a lunch hour.
    I too have noticed - from other authors who write quickies, that they've received complaints about the story being too short or the characters undeveloped. Honestly, I don't get it. A quickie is like a freeze frame, a teaser - an amuse buche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit, I didn't get what a 'quickie' was when I first began reading them. The 'quickie' part went right out the window, lol:)

    That description nails it: Blip in time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber I'm so happy you posted this! This has been on my mind a lot. My comment here became so huge-virtually a Quickie in itself, that I'm going to post it as tomorrow's Blog. Thank you for this post!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets face it - who doesnt love a "Quickie" *wink* - love your post; keep doing what you're doing. Short stories are gaining in popularity, especially with the fast lifestyles many of us have. I like to read the shorter stories before I go to work in the morning - its just enough to satisfy my hunger for ....um,a book, yeah that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quickies used to sell well for me, but my most recent didn't, so I'm thinking I don't want to spend a lot of time and effort on another one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know you are right on the blip in time. And you know people should relate it to sex! If you are getting a quickie from your significant other is it going to be a 5-10 minute no holds barred free for all, or the hour - hour and a half romance that some are lucky enough to get? Jeez lol you would think a quickie would be a bit self explanatory !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber, I received a similar review from a reader who was upset because she didn't catch that the story was a quickie by the word count.

    I personally, like short stories both to read and write. A blip is time is exciting! I think.

    Mary Corrales,www.authormaryc.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Amber...I see you were zapped by the "too short" fairy, too. And on my ratings page, one lady yelled at EC for constantly giving too little for the skimpy prices charged for novellas.

    No matter how good the book is, there will always be those who have no idea that it is the number of words, and not the number of pages that makes your book a Quick Quickie, a Quickie, a novella, a short novel, etc.

    I have had folks give me one star and rant, "This was actually Exotika instead of a novella...no HEA". Or, "This was a Quickie...only 62 pages! Not worth the money!"

    Sigh. I have even had a three star rating with this added: "I hated this...but only because I loved it. It was simply too short."

    So, when my readers call my novellas Quickies, and complain about the length, I direct them to my Resplendence novels (203 and 258 pages). They come back and say, "too expensive". You pay more for longer books, kiddies. Heck! I offered a full refund to one complainer, if she simply sent me the e-mail receipt for the book she bought. She said she got the book "from a friend" who wanted her to read it. Hmmm. You gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Quickies simply because I don't have time to read a longer book these days. A Quickie gives me a reading hit without taking up too much time!

    I say keep writing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole what a great way to compare quickies! I guess I should've thought of that. ;)

    Thanks Shelly...I'm the same way, no time to read long books.

    Fran my darling, you've got such great insight. And "from a friend" who the pirates? UGH

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love quickie reads. Sometimes, when reviewing a book, I pick one up because I want to give my audience something new. No, the characters are not going to be fully developed. No, the plot isn't always going to be either. But, like you said, its 'a blip in time'. Hello!! And I have to tell you, most of the readers I've talked, prefer it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's nice to hear from a reviewer, Rebecca! Thank you.

    Okay, my daughter chose lucky commenter # 7 - Nicole. Send me an email to amberskyze@gmail.com so I can send you your copy of Submit With Me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you read a quickie, you have to expect lots of action in a short period of time. It's not a fully-developed novel. You're right; some people don't understand and the author suffers in reviews.
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.