Visitors

Thursday, July 15, 2010

What's A Kindle?


My daughter and I were shopping for purses a few days ago. Both she and I embrace the ‘big bag’. It has to be able house everything one might need to survive after a nuclear disaster. It has to weigh so much that we groan when hoisting it upon our shoulder. My husband takes comfort in the fact that we each carry a personal protection device – one conk on the head and any assailant would most certainly be rendered unconscious.

Anyways, we had the nicest salesperson. She noticed that we were obsessively comparing three large bags to one beautiful, albeit incredibly small one. Sarah mentioned that her Kindle wouldn’t even fit in it. Katherine (saleslady), asked, “What's a Kindle?” Of course, this caused Sarah to show hers and give a brief explanation of the e-book world. Katherine was ‘deer-in-the-headlights’, but asked a ton of questions!

This experience lead to much discussion in our house, again. Online promo is obviously very important, but on many levels, aren’t we singing to the choir? Our websites, blogs and chat groups will not bring in the readers who aren’t up to speed on this still relatively new frontier.

It may sound antiquated, but I spend more time taking my printed promo stuff to local book stores and talking to people about how to download books, how economical they are, etc. I talk to people at the grocery store, my doctor’s offices, the vet, the hair salon – anyplace I go, and to anyone who seems willing to listen. My experience has been that there are still a ton of people who don't understand what an e-book is! They are concerned about the security of going to ‘unknown’ websites and giving credit card info. They are also incredibly hesitant to do anything categorized as ‘adult’ for fear of viruses. We still have a long way to go to educate the public.

Tessie
http://www.tessiebradford.com/
P.S. - I'll talk new release next week.

6 comments:

  1. "One conk on the head..." You're absolutely right Tessie but in my case I'd be done for while rummaging around the bottom of my bag trying to find the thing! lol

    I think it's a great idea to take flyers etc. to local stores because what you say is right, you're preaching to the converted online. Good luck with the educational program - you're onto a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about the search for a new purse. Since the flooding back in March my local JC Penneys is closed. There's another one not too far away, but their selection is different. I never find one I like.
    While in NY for my mom's surprise party we went to the JCP there and I found 2 good sized purses. I couldn't decide which one I wanted so the DH bought one and I the other. LOL
    Now I have one for the Fall. :)

    Now on to the local promo. I'm having a DUH moment. What a great idea. I must engage the local stores.

    You've embraced a wonderful idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big issue and I can't help but believe the ebook boom hasn't even started yet. This also plays into the piracy of ebooks where so many people believe they are not really stealing books but SHARING... it irks me that they are rewarded and 'Thanked" on-line for SHARING as if they were a generous kind person and not a thief. It up to us to do a better job of educating the public about this new frontier.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela, Kat and Amber-
    I forgot to mention, I went into this one tiny used book store last year and the owner was unfamiliar with e-books!!??
    Plus, I've been really surprised at how many people still don't have a computer in their home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Kindle...and am amazed at the number of well-educated people who don't have a computer and don't know about ebooks. Technology will pass them by!
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's surprising that a book store owner wouldn't have at least heard of ebooks. Perhaps they kept the cash in the drawer too?lol
    Everyone I know has a computer and I think most households own at least one, but perhaps it's used by the kids? Technology has moved so fast in the last ten years that some older people are just daunted by the whole thing I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.