Visitors

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pondering Prequels


Over the holiday weekend, one of my cable channels ran the “Force of July” marathon. Three glorious days of all six Star Wars movies, in order, over and over again! I’ve been a fan from the moment I sat in a sold out theater, in 1977, and gasped in stunned awe at the opening scene. I was somewhat confused by people talking about how the first three films were actually episodes IV, V and VI of the story, but I didn’t spend a lot of time dwelling on it.

When the Phantom Menace released in 1999, I was highly skeptical. Why was George Lucas messing with a good thing? Seeming to prove my point, I thought this movie was a bit slow and in parts confusing, but I found it interesting to learn about Anakin Skywalker as a child. Then came Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and I was in prequel heaven!! To learn the back story of beloved characters and understand better how the universe George showed us so many years before came into being answered questions I hadn’t realized I had.

I’m pondering the possibility of writing the prequel to “The Lady’s Not a Vamp”. A friend mentioned she’d like to read the story of how Tony and Rick got together. Actually, I’d like to know how they got together, too!? When these men jumped into my head, they were already a long term couple very much in love. They wanted me to tell their story of finding their blood mate and they wanted me to tell it quickly!!

I was really quite shocked to discover I’d never given any thought to the details of what came before. For the guys, my job as their author was to focus on the most wonderful event of their lives together – finding Sandy. But I now have questions! How did they meet? What trials and tribulations did they go through on the road to love? Why did they settle in the little town of Deckton, and why in the hell are there so many vampires there? I’m looking forward to spending some more quality time with Tony and Rick!

On a completely different note, I have another book coming out this summer! “Treasuring Evie” releases with Ellora’s Cave on August 11th! More on that next week.
Tessie
www.tessiebradford.com

7 comments:

  1. Damn, now you have me thinking about Ben and Adam of Stranded. Oh, I can't...I can't. But now I must. Shoot, I guess I'll be plotting a new M/M. LOL

    Can't wait to read both books Tessie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what happens!!? We create characters we love and then want to know everything about them! I'm hoping the readers do too!
    My problem is that to do Tony and Rick's backstory, it will be set in the late 1800's. Doing anything remotely historical scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously, we need Stephen Hawking's help here. There is always a paradox with space/time and perhaps they do not belong together at all.
    Humans can easily imagine the future and time moving forward BUT they never get around to looking back.. supposedly the past is frozen and finished but what if it's not? I'm playing with that idea.
    I love prequels I think you should go for it!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, I've always been fascinated by "time". The possibilites are infinite if it isn't linear (which I believe it is not)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tend to think only of sequels...and not about what might have happened before. Your blog made me think of what I'd do as prequels for my books, and I'm not sure I could do it successfully for all of them.
    Hmm. Interesting thing to ponder!
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been pondering prequels too. I like to write characters who are already in a relationship, but when that first story is done I find myself wanting to look back and tell the story of how they fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April- this is the only book of mine I've considered writing a prequel for. I have a feeling Tony and Rick went through a lot to be together!

    Nara - It is interesting to ponder what came before once we know the characters, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.