Visitors

Monday, May 10, 2010

Intuition, ESP, or Fact-Based Logic?

Today is "Trust Your Intuition Day". I'm not sure I always trust mine...how about you?

Intuition: "The immediate knowing of something without the conscious use of reasoning." Now, that's what my big print, Webster's Dictionary says. (Yes, I like the big print!). This means you know something happened, will happen, is happening minus the thinking process to figure out the when/why/how/who/what.

It's said that women have intuition. Do we...really? A mother might say something like, "I knew he was no good for you." Was that intuition...or based on the fact that she heard him sweet-talking on his cell phone while her daughter went into the kitchen? Or, while watching a movie, someone will blurt out, "The butler did it." Are they guessing? Basing that answer on other movies they've seen or books they've read?

I guess the key word is immediate. No thoughts about a subject. Just a brief "flash" in your head about someone/something. "


So...is it intuition, Extrasensory Perception,  or simply a matter of experience-based logic?

I wrote one book about a psychic who uses her special gift, ESP, to match couples at her dating service. ("Second Sight Dating" by Marianne Stephens) No intuition or experience-based logic was used in her process. She simply "saw" numbers and letters of clients in her head and matched them. She couldn't possibly remember what each wrote on their client forms, and match them that way. Her matching process had no scientific, fact-based routine involved at all. She had to close her eyes, concentrate on a letter, and wait for a number to appear in her head (or the other way around).

"Trust Your Intuition Day" gives the appearance of you going about your daily routine, and believing anything that pops into your head as being the truth. So, if you're at work and suddenly think "the phone will ring"...and it does...maybe it's your intuition at work. Or...maybe deep down inside you realize your so busy that life would throw you a curveball by having that damn phone ring just to bother you!

My very first encounter with what I labeled intuition happened the day President Kennedy was shot. (Yes, I'm that old). I wasn't "into" politics at that time...just trying to get through the angst of high school. I remember having breakfast and suddenly blurting out to my mother, "I think President Kennedy will be shot in an open car."

Yes...I'd seen news reports of him visiting cities and riding in open cars. But I had no idea where he was that day. An overpowering feeling of dread made me say what popped into my head. My mother assured me I was wrong and I was NOT to even think that might happen.

So, I went to school, he got shot, and I freaked out. Even went to church because I somehow felt like my intuition had told me that would happen and I should have warned him. As if anyone would have listened to the ramblings of a teenager!

Another time, I was in a car, going to a bridal shower with relatives. I knew my father was working late. Suddenly, the thought of him being in danger with a fire popped into my head. I said nothing, but called my mother once we got to the shower. Sure enough, my father had been working on a ship, a fire had broken out, and he had helped get some workers out of danger.

Again, I was a teenager and knew he worked on ships...but where had the danger and fire come from? ESP or my intuition kicking in?

I wish my intuition had helped me other times...like when I dated two brothers (not at the same time), got dumped by both, felt awful...and then found out both were gay. Then again, after  dancing and talking to my husband the night we first met, the thought that popped into my head was, "This is someone I can take home to meet my mother." Was that my intuition kicking in?

Any tales of intuition lurking in your past? Share your stories with us!

Photos: Flickr: kpishdadi and A30_Tsitika's photostreams

http://www.mariannestephens.net
http://www.aprilash.net
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/romancebooksrus
http://romancebooksrus.blogspot.com

11 comments:

  1. Your intuitive track record sounds pretty accurate... I would take your comments seriously.
    My most meaningful intuition was a common one. Weeks before 9-11,
    I would look at a digital clock and see 9:11 twice a day. I started seeing the number combination everywhere. It gave me the chills and a horrific feeling. I told my husband and friends there was an emergency coming... I felt terrible about 9/11
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Kennedy story is very scary! I would freak out too! I think there is intuition, ESP, foresight, Blink (see Malcolm Gladwell), Grokking (see Robert Heinlein) - yes, you are either quite psychic or very intuitive or you can somehow tap into the stream of cosmic consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating, Marianne. I certainly believe that such things are possible, though I have no cool stories of my own to relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wicked scary, Marianne. I don't know if this is intuition or not, but there was a time during my teenage years when I'd suddenly look at the phone (don't know why) and by God the sucker would ring. Maybe I was able to hear the electrical connections or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, what you're talking about is amazing and kind of scary and seems much more like psychic premonitions than what I would call simple intuition. I think I have a kind of intuition, but I believe it's only because I pick up on body language, tone of voice, and something about a person's reactions when I look them in the eye. There have been a numer of men (I.e. a boss, a sister-in-law's boyfriend, and my Nude Spanish Guitarist) that I had immediate strong feelings about. I avoided being alone with the boss on reflex, making up instantaneous stories of why we couldn't share a ride, but I didn't know why I felt this way. I later found out he'd been sexually harrassing several women in the office.

    I told my then-husband that my sister-in-law's boyfriend was Satan after the first time I met him. I avoided greeting or touching him. Having him around made the hairs on my arm stand on end. After my sister-in-law ended things suddenly, I learned he was abusing her children, attempting to sexually abuse her daughter.

    On the other hand, the first time I saw my NSG in a public place and he smiled, I had this "click" feeling, different from any random attraction, and I didn't want to let him go before I knew we'd be in contact again. I wasn't thinking romance at the time. I just knew we were meant to be something in each other's lives.

    Oh, my mom came up with all kinds of things that turned out to be true. Kookiest--after seeing a brief glance between the minister and pianist one day in a church service, she told my dad they were having an affair. My dad thought it was nuts--the man was married with 5 kids. A few months later the preacher and pianist ran off together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope I've never had anything like that happen. I'm always shocked when something happens. I was also not born when Kennedy was shot. But my grandmother met him. She was one of the first female FBI agents and he visited Portland, Oregon where she was located.

    To me more like interesting things happen at interesting times. Like Princess Diana died the same day I got back from Mexico and had spent quite a a bit of time with a British group who also flew back to the UK on the same day I came home. What a shock they got on their return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie is right you have physic abilities.

    I have none at all. lol I just want others to tell me what they think. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. The only one I ever had was when I met my husband and knew instantly I was going to marry him. Does that count? Even told a girl friend the same night I'd met the man I would marry. Intuition, or determination?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great stories, everyone! Tammie, would you call what happens to you coincidence? Maybe there's some type of intuition that put you at a place/setting at a certain time.
    Kat, the 9-11 thing is some type of intuition!
    Jean and Lyla, good examples!
    Thanks, all, for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I can look at the number of new emails and just 'know' a special friend's will be there.

    I dreamed about both Sonny Bono the night before he died (I know; weird!).

    But the strangest happened to my dad. The kids and I were driving to the airport to collect my mom. A car pulled out in front of me; I hit the brakes; my two-yr-old came hurtling the length of the van and smashed her head into the console (she'd unbuckled her seat belt!). Blood oozed from her forehead. I pulled over at the nearest gas station and cleaned her up; bought bandaids, but her gash was pretty severe. We went on the the airport, prepared to tell Grandma we had to stop at the ER first. We arrived at the gate (pre-911) and there was Grandpa! He had been at work, when all of a sudden, he'd had a vision of me and the kids in a car wreck. He left work and found out he was partly right. He took mom home, and I took my daughter to get this tiny, half-inch gash at her hairline stitched up. Head wounds bleed an awful lot, but she was a brave little girl who NEVER took her seat belt off again until the car stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly, Wow. You're father's vision sounds like what I'm talking about. It just "happens". And you and that dream...
    It's amazing what the brain can do and all the untapped abilities we have.
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.