Visitors

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Glam Life - Part 2


Last Friday over at Romance Books R Us, I talked about the glamorous life of a writer. I used blunt examples and I certainly don’t apologize for my choice. My life is so far from glamorous. I’m not going to continue telling of all my woes in my personal life, but I will give you a small example of how much money I rake in.

Last May a story of mine was released in an Anthology. This anthology has been well received by the reviewers, but apparently not by the readers. A year ago, I received a check for $25 as an advance against future sales. The three other authors received the same amount. I haven’t seen any more royalties from this story.

I get my statement every month and I watch our negative numbers creep lower. I might see .25 in July or August. Granted the story probably took me seven hours to write, but let’s look at how that averages out. $25 divided by the 7 hrs is $3.57 an hour. Hmm, gotta love the writer’s life.

Believe me I’m not trying to sound whiney or bitchy because I feel blessed to be published. I get to express myself through my characters and storylines. Not everyone is as lucky. I love creating different scenarios for my hero and heroine to get themselves into or out of. I enjoy the path to happily ever after. If I were in it for the money I’d a quit a long time ago.

In other news, I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this, but I signed a new contract for Submit With Me. It’s a quickie. No release date yet, but I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as I do.

Be sure to come back next week for my interview with fellow author Katalina Leon! You don’t want to miss this!

3 comments:

  1. Amber my love, you're too good to be treated this way! That was then-live and learn. This is now. Core lesson? You're worthy of so much more. I think you just inspired a blog!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. An author's life is tough...we do it for the love of writing...but sure would enjoy seeing more money!
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Hugs, Kat!

    Oh I agree Marianne. Show me the money!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.