Visitors

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I have a bone to pick with Silhouette Nocturne


Books? Or Advertisements?

Today I received a book I ordered via Amazon, Vampire Vendetta, by Alexis Morgan. I like Alexis Morgan. Her Paladin series is a fun read. The alpha heroes make for a good quickie. I just finished her latest, Defeat the Darkness, and it was okay. It was good enough that when I received her email informing me she has a new vampire love story out, I thought - why not? I missed her first vampire book but I ordered Vampire Vendetta. I can tell it's going to be another quickie and I'm sure it will keep me entertained for a few hours.

So why do I have a bone to pick with the publisher, Silhouette Nocturn? Because stuck to the binding, between pages 160 and 161, was a thick packet of advertising. When I tried to pull it, thinking it might just be shoved in there or perforated for easy removal, I had to rip it out. Along came pages 160 and 161. The damn cardboard ads were glued to the book binding.

A. Do I really want advertising in my book? If a pub wants to advertise, print up the ads and stick them at the end of the book - I discovered ten pages of ads in the back of the book after the story ends, in addition to an ad on the inside of the back cover. At least those ads are printed on the same paper as the rest of the book and they don't interfere with my reading pleasure.

B. Don't stick cardboard in the middle of my book! How distracting! That's why I tore it out in the first place. I stupidly assumed it would be perforated and easy to remove. Silly me. Now I have a brand new book with a bent binding, a hole in the middle, ragged remnants of cardboard, and two taped pages. Dang!

This is the first time I've ever purchased a book that's had a big fat packet of advertising stuck in the middle of it. Has this happened to you?

9 comments:

  1. oh yeah i so hate that advertising in the middle i always rip it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE getting 'commercials' in the middle of a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The publisher made a bad choice that demeans the author and the customer. They need to put the ads somewhere else. They don't belong glued to the center of the book like a booby trap...
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - ads do not belong in the middle of my story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only way to stop this is to complain to them. It is distracting to have something interfere with your reading in the middle. I don't mind same paper type ads in the back...but don't like the cardboard "you can't miss this, gotta see it" type ads.
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harlequin Silhouette Desires did that a lot. At least three pages of cardboard in the very center, not very easy to remove. I figure if I pay for a book, or a movie, I don't need to see all the ads in there. I e-mailed the CEO of the company and said I had bought my very last Desire book because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Fran and April. I will complain and I won't buy any more of their books. This is actually the first I've ever bought. At least the story is pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand why they do that. It distracts the reader and it certainly isn't going to make me WANT to buy anything. I'll be too pissed by the interruption. Sorry Julia. I'd complain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very annoying when it happens. But for some reason, it seem to go in spurts. For months you may not see it at all. And they don't do it to all the lines at the same time.
    That actually makes it more frustrating as you never know which ones to avoid, unless you shop in a store instead of ordering online. but that may be the way to go. The copies at WalMart never seem to have those adds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.