Visitors

Friday, October 16, 2009

The Rains Have Returned


My Favorite Time of Year...
Optimal for Writing!



Every year I wait for the rains, because once the rains stop in California, you can be pretty certain they won't begin again for six months....So basically, you have six months of glorious weather. Sometimes it becomes a bit too glorious because who wants to sit still when the birds are singing, the sun is shining and there are any number of amazing places to visit, sit, drink an espresso, hike, bike, ride....
To me, the rains are life-giving, rejuvenating, invigorating. Just like the re-emergence of the sun, once they start, they don't really stop for six months and I hope that's the case this year because last year, the rains were late and ended early and we've suffered through a drought this summer.

Such is weather. I'm a big fan of weather. When I lived in the Midwest, it was tornadoes, hail, marvelous thunderstorms, blizzards, ice, wind. In Utah, I experienced the greatest snow on earth, in Texas, where everything is bigger...bigger hail and louder thunderstorms and hurricanes. In Arizona, monsoon season. In California I've known feast or famine. Too much rain and flooding or too little rain and drought. Fires, earthquakes - which aren't exactly weather, Santa Ana winds - It's been fascinating.

So now that the rains have begun, I don't have to feel guilty about staying inside to write. Oh...I'll still hike. I've hiked in the rains for nineteen years. I was even washed away in a flash flood one time along with my dog, but we survived.

Back to the WIP!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Julia. Writing is the nicest way to spend a rainy day. I breathe a sigh of relief when the rains return. Getting swept away in a flash flood sounds pretty harrowing-maybe too much adventure. I'm glad you and your dog survived.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, I've lived in Michigan all of my life and love the changing seasons and sometimes unpreditable weather events! A good snowstorm or a rafter shaking thunderstorm can really get my creativity flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rain! I love the smell of the earth after a good rain. I love the way it washes the filth out of the air, even it it all ends up on my dark green car! LOL! So if I really want it to rain, I go get a car wash. Never fails.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.