Visitors

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Editing


I went to my local chapter writer's meeting on Saturday and a lot was discussed on what types of writers we are. I'm a self-proclaimed pantser thru and thru. It wasn't the type of writer I am that surprised me. It was how much writer's love editing. At least 2/3 the group went on and on about how much they love editing. Me I dislike it - immensely! lol


I don't know why really. Maybe by the time I get to the end of the book I'm tired of it. I don't mind when I go thru edits with my editor's. Well, that's not completely true. If I have to do more than two rounds I get grouchy. My husband will take me to dinner and keep the kids at bay.


I'm not a perfectionist by any means, so it's not that I think my work is perfect. Tho, I won't lie, I wish it were. lol I think it's just when I finish a book I'm done. If I let it sit too long I won't edit it.


It's sad really because I have three contemporary romantic comedies that have potential - if only I'd edit them. I wrote them during NaNo the last few years and when I was done, I was done. I haven't looked back.


As a writer who wants to do this full-time some day it's not a good thing. I need to find a way to commit myself to these books that haven't been edited. These are the books waiting to be submitted to agents. And if all else fails, they'll go to an e-pub.


If there are any writer's out there who are like me and despise editing can you share tips with me on how to just do it? Please? :)

8 comments:

  1. Editing is tough. I love it and hate it. It always surprises me to go back and actually see how much I forgot to write. Self-editing is essential for me to finnish a story and essential to my pride.I don't want anyone to see my ridiculous mistakes. I'm shocked to return to an MS, which I remembered as being great only to see that a crazy woman has written identical phrases back to back or managed to use a wildly wrong word in a hilariously wrong place. No, no, no editing is your friend! lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, you beat me to the punch! I had planned a similar post. Since everyone will be at Romanticon, mine's coming up on Friday - I sympathize, but I can't feel your pain - I love edits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Kat, I know it's my friend. And believe me I have to edit. I just don't like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Julia! :) Can't wait to read your post. I wish I was going to Romanticon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see edits in my inbox, my first reaction is a sharp chest pain! Then I take a deep, cleansing breath and get down to it. I've only been through edits on three books so far, but I have learned so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coffee, chocolate and a timer. I try to say... "I will edit this for the next hour."

    That helps. A little.

    :-)

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Jenna, I like your idea! LOL

    Tessie, I get the sharp pain when I finish writing and have to go back to edit before sending off to the editor. Unless I see lots of red when I open the editor's edits! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't write. I edit.
    Sad but true.
    Those periods in which I can hit it and come up with viable text are few. I just have to keep refining to get where I'm going!
    Takes me a while, but I love the end product.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.