Visitors

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Play it Again

On Saturday, September 26, 2009, my brother John (my concert buddy) and I will be standing in the 16th row on the main floor of Cobo Arena in Detroit Michigan to watch KISS perform their umpteenth “farewell concert”.


I have attended their last two “farewell concerts” from a much safer vantage point and pondered the stupidity of those on the main floor. Now that the tickets are paid for, at a cost that I should be embarrassed about, I am concerned that my arthritic body and squitchy bladder might rebel over standing for hours on end while being bumped and squeezed between zealous fans far younger than myself. So why, why am I doing this?


I love live music. I love the fact that Gene and the boys still slap on the make-up and platform shoes as they enter their golden years. I love the fact that my children roll their eyes, ask me if I will ever grow up, and then laugh over how cool it is that I’m a ‘rocking’ grandmother. In the last months, I’ve seen Linkin Park, Metallica, Korn, and Marilyn Manson (twice).


I realize this tidbit of information has nothing to do with authoring, but it does give another interesting insight into what makes Tessie tick!

8 comments:

  1. Ooooo, I have just the thing! Tell the security men that you are an erotic writer, and promise that you'll give them all an autographed hot book for their ladies if they keep an eye out for you in the mosh-pit! Tell them that your books are sure to make their ladies hot and heated, and they won't regret the effort it takes to pull your fanny out when you get slammed to the edge of the stage or people start crowd surfing you all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, if Tessie were to ask security to 'pull her fanny out' over here, she'd be arrested! It means something totally different and they certainly wouldn't be expecting an autograph! Think of those famous Monologues!
    I love Linkin Park and receive the same rolled eyes. Do you think it's a medical condition?lol Research is paramount so I think you should file the Kiss concert under that. Those gyrations are actually an investment in a future novel. The occasional cracking joint will be lost in the roar of the crowd! One advantage of age is that they'll allow you to bring a walking cane which would be confiscated from a younger fan. If anyone steps on your toes, you can poke them with impunity! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom- the eye rolls are full of love and you know it!!! And I only roll my eyes because you don't take me with you!!!!! SO NOT FAIR!!!! And stop worrying you'll be fine. You did wonderfully at Marilyn Manson so don't overly worry about Kiss. Uncle John will protect you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiss is timeless and appeals to every age group. That is why they have been able to perform a dozen farewell tours.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning ladies! Fran, you have me thinking that maybe the concert is a perfect place to hand out book marks and business cards?? Pamela, maybe I can write off the cost of my ticket as a business expense! Sarah,you have too much homework to do this weekend! K-At least at this show, I'm pretty sure John and I won't be the oldest people there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tessie -I loved Kiss beyond reason throughout my teens! "Beth" and "I want to Rock and Roll all night" still make me happy every time I hear them! It's funny you bring this up because I was going to blog in October about going to see the U2 360 Tour! I can't wait to feel the energy of the crowd. I don't want to dread the discomfort though I have some of the same concerns you do. After all Kiss and U2 are older too! I hope you have a great time and come away feeling renewed. It's wonderful to reconnect with what you love.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiss was never my thing, but when I attended a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert two years ago, I wanted to jump David Crosby's bones in a hurry - he can sing so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kat, You'll definitely have to let us know about the U2 concert. I bet it's going to be incredible! I'm envious.
    Julia, a sweet singing man can get one's engine running in a heartbeat, can't they??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.