Visitors

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Katalina Leon Wednesday September 16 2009

“A Fetish for Fetishes.”

A fetish is a magical talisman, an inanimate object that holds an inordinate amount of power over the person who desires it. It can often be a symbol for someone’s entire sexual focus. It can be something one must absolutely possess to feel complete.

It sounds exciting and obsessive doesn’t it? It is but I don’t want to disappoint or mislead anyone into believing that I am going to talk about true fetishes. I’m sorry. I promise to get that another time. The fetishes I want to talk about today are the rather mundane fetishes many of us have incorporated into lives.

Anthropologist will speak of “Primary” cultures as being “Fetishistic” and prone to infuse things, statues, amulets, jars, and masks etc… With unfounded magical powers that are irresistible to those who wish to possess those powers. Guess what? We fall for that same desire every time we open a magazine and see an advertisement telling us “A diamond is forever.” The implication is if a man gives you a diamond he is magically bound to you-forever! Do you think there might be some diamonds out there that don’t have a loyal man attached to them? A diamond is just carbon and though it’s very beautiful, expensive and rare it’s actual value has been greatly exaggerated and mythologized. I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s a parade. If you’re fortunate enough to have a diamond and you love your diamond –as I do, you have to realize you love what the diamond stands for. In our culture a diamond is a very powerful fetish.

My Grandmother always carried a lovely golden, bejeweled compact in her purse so she could powder her nose in public. She used that glittering compact the way ladies flirted with fans in the 17th century. The delicate angle of her wrists, the ladylike gesture, the flash of a smile in the mirror, was so alluring. Time had marched on for my Grandmother but her power to draw interest was still potent. Every time that compact came out she reminded those next to her that she still respected herself as a woman. I wanted that compact! That compact was definitely a fetish item.

Can’t afford diamonds or jeweled compacts? Either can I. How about a tube of mascara? Mascara is fast becoming a fetish item. I love the mysterious sound of the word “Mascara.” It brings a glamorously dramatic image to mind. Apparently the possibilities are endless there’s a “New!” mascara introduced every month. Have you seen the new vibrating mascara wands? It sounds like trouble to me. My hand is already unsteady… I buy mascara almost superstitiously. I’ll buy any new trend from one company while never touching a rival brand. I am brand loyal. A single bad experience with something as essential as mascara is enough to put me on guard for years. I can count the days of my adult life on my fingertips that I have left my house without wearing mascara. Despite the evidence I still believe in my hearts of hearts that there is a magical mascara out there that will length, protect, thicken and curl my tiniest lashes while remaining completely free of smears, clumps and flakes. Perhaps I’m placing my faith in false god? lol

Is there anyone out there whose lashes actually did curl when they used a lash curling mascara? Would you like to share your favorite Fetish with Seven Sexy Scribes? I’d love to hear it!

XXOO Katalina Leon  

12 comments:

  1. My toes have curled at the thought of buying a pair of shoes...does that count?

    I think all your dreams may have come true. They've just brought out a new vibrating mascara which is supposed to be the bees knees!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! How wonderfully right you are! We all carry fetishes of some sort. Mine was always a tiny leather bag with three small crystal balls inside. Crystal balls that I selected for their "vibes". I think I carried the bag for ten years, until I took them out to clean my purse. I decided that I had plenty of good vibes without them at that point. I still have them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fetishes...I am superstitious when it comes to baseball. But baseball players and fans in general are very superstitious. My thing is that I have to put my left shoe on before my right. Done it since I was a kid. Mascara and I don't get along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A1-My fetish, I am afraid, is not inanimate objects! These eyes of mine find a man's chest if front of them with hair peeking out over a low buttoned shirt..Mm-Mmmm!! NOW THAT"S A REAL FETISH with substance! Unfortunately for the context of this article..I can't honestly say I have fetishes in the way of the material world so much. Relative to the article though, there are many men displayed on the pages of Seven Sexy Scribes whom are hairless, with sleek smooth bodies, but again.. Show me the man with a touch of hair showing itself off to me with his power of animal magnetism and that is the object of my affections and desire! Yummy! Yum! Yum!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fetish? SHOES and earrings. I drowned in them! I could wear NOTHING but shoes and earrings!
    And what a sight that would be now that I am no longer 25....
    But my collection is to die for. If I say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some wonderful Fetishes! Thank you for sharing them Ladies.
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat, I've been pondering your post all day, trying to figure out my fetish! I'm in 'crisis' for not coming up with one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tessie, you've already confessed in earlier blogs to being dominated by a male parrot fish and having a thing for Vampires-You're good honey! It's okay... lol
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Necklaces!! I can leave the house without my wedding ring, without a watch, or without makeup, but if I look in the car mirror and see my neck bare, I'll run back into the house to get something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dominated? MALE fish? Vampires? Okay, so I apparently have a fetish or three!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a collector of CDs. I was so addicted I had to make myself stop buying them. Now I reward myself with a new one whenever a get a new contract. That's the ONLY time I buy one. My wallet thanks me! lol
    Sadly enough my fetish has worn off on my 22 yr old son. He has a collection 3x the size of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This may sound CRAZY but,I have a thing for the panties I wear. On my I don't want to be approached days they tend to be solid color cotton. On the days or should I say nights I'm feeling pretty,sexy or just thinking those naughty thoughts I go for my animal print silk boy cut panties,or my bright color string bikini panties! OMG I just told my secret!
    Yes me Bad,Bad girl!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.