Visitors

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Brethren of the Coast

Katalina Leon:

I’m a pirate and I’m proud of it!

Not a sleazy thief of intellectual property pirate. I don’t care for those folks at all. I’m a sleazy Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum pirate… At least I like to dress up as one and go to pirate festivals and fairs. Pirates are a big part of my life. My husband loves pirate lore and clearly remembers being drawn to tall ships as a toddler and knowing it was part of his distant past. He started drawing beautifully detailed Spanish galleons before he knew his alphabet. For many reasons, I’m convinced he was a mapmaker and a seaman in another time and place.

Many years ago on a whim I had a friend make him a beautiful blue-gray sea captain’s coat with dozens of brass buttons. When he first slipped the coat on a deep transformation took place. Some long buried part of him said these are my clothes. A Captain’s personality came forward. I didn’t want to miss out on the fun so I invested in some 18th century clothing as well. I found them to be much more comfortable and far more flattering than my regular clothes. Something changed for me as well.

Last autumn we renewed our wedding vows at a pirate fair. A fellow pirate chief preformed our ceremony. My cousin and her husband renewed their vows with us. We hand fasted with a piece of ship’s rope to bind our wrists. We included our son in our vows. Actually he included himself when he saw us hand fasting he ran over and put his little hand on top of ours. Beautiful symbolism of how much a child takes over a marriage! The pirate chief tied the three of us together. We sealed our vows by jumping over my husband’s sword while bagpipes played. It was a dream wedding for us and very personal. I got a dragon dagger as a wedding gift. A girl can’t do better than that!

This autumn I have something different planned which I hope to turn into a book. I shall only hint to ye moderne ladies of bright wit and good breeding it shall be Confabulous!

Do you literally have something in your “past” that you love that may need to come out in the open? Have you ever had the feeling you’ve lived before?

XXOO Kat

9 comments:

  1. I fixed the comments problem! Great post, Kat! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran Yar be a grand Dame! Ye fixed the blighted comment box! Arrgh! I Darn't know why thar darn thing gone scurvy on me!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad I can finally comment. Tally ho and jolly rodger! Ye have a grand ol' time at yer pirate faire! Yeah, I've been lots of things in past lives, but...that's my secret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A1-I’ve been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king; I’ve been up and down and over and out, and I know one thing; Each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race.' LOL! You made me think of the verse of that song! Wow! Come to think of it..I sort of think there may have been another life for me in another time and space among those lyrics! Hmmmm! Fancy that!
    Anyway.. Loved your writing today and your story of renewing your vows very touching!! May you have many more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What??? No pictures of your pirate wedding renewing your vows? You're leaving us hanging to imagine how everyone looked?
    What an interesting look into your life. And, with Halloween coming, a great story about costumes!
    I wonder what it is that you're planning?
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ay! And ye best never forget "Talk Like A Pirate Day" every September 19th! Th' bilge rat what can't recall gets dipped in sheep fat and keel-hauled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran is the dipping in sheep fat and kneel hauling going to appear in your next book? I hope so!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. It didn't bring Frank Sinatra to mind I'm afraid...Monty Python - I am a lumberjack and I'm ok. I think that's the Universe sending me a message don't you?
    If not a lumberjack, then I was a fish - a snapper!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.