Visitors

Friday, August 21, 2009

Julia says hello and welcome!

Let me introduce myself...

I'm Julia Rachel Barrett, writer of romantic suspense, contemporary romance and sci-fi/futuristic romance. At least, that's one of the lives I lead. I'm also a Registered Nurse, a mom, a chef, a certifiably crazy person (ask my kids), a voracious reader, an exercise/outdoor fanatic, and I'm happily married to the love of my life. (Yeah, I'm a passionate red-head with a red-headed temper!)

I got into the writing business years and years ago. I guess I was sort of born into it. My grandmother was a playwright, one uncle was a journalist who actually got to interview both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones - oh my cousins were so lucky - on their first North American tours. Another uncle wrote and edited college textbooks. My father is an excellent writer as are my two sisters. I grew up painting and writing poetry. I majored in Creative Writing at the University of Iowa with its well-known Iowa Writer's Workshop. My mentor there was the head of the International Writer's Workshop and I had the opportunity to hang with authors from all over the world. Pretty amazing!

Of course, writing is a tough career choice...I learned that lesson quickly. After a series of rejections, I returned to school and became a nurse. I've never regretted my decision. Better a meal on the table than a starving artist and my experiences have been priceless - they've provided me with an endless supply of material.

I was introduced to the romance genre literally by accident. Several years ago, I was in a climbing accident which required several surgeries to repair the damage I'd done to my knee. I was laid up for months and a friend brought me over a stack of romance novels. I devoured them and said - more please! Then it hit me - this is in my blood! I can write this! All I have to do is what I was taught - write what I know. Every book I write contains a big piece of me. So, every Friday, join me right here with my fellow Six Sexy Scribes!

Julia
http://juliabarrett.blogspot.com
Beauty and the Feast coming from Resplendence February 2010!

7 comments:

  1. What a painful way to find writing, but I'm glad you did! You're a wonderful author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Julia, Welcome aboard!
    XXOO Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, "babe"! LOL! Lookin' great! Both blogs are cookin'!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.